4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HORRIBLE Gas Mileage, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
WhiteyonWelfare

Default HORRIBLE Gas Mileage, Please help

Alright so I bought the mac off road h pipe, everything installed (that passenger side bolt on the header was a pain the ***!!!) nice and tight. I bought a set of BBK MIL eliminators and they just plugged right in easy. Left it running for 5 mins before I took it for a test drive to check for any leaks and didn't have any at all, checked it again about 30 mins ago no leaks.

Started her up and she had a nice new bark to her and no Service Engine Soon light came on or anything....the first 2 times. The check engine(im assuming that is the same error as Service Engine Soon) light came on the 3rd start up but I didn't notice anything different in the sound or performance so I just left and went on to work. As I was driving I noticed my gas hand just steadily falling to the point I was worried I wasnt going to make it home. I checked my tripometer and I got 140 miles on a full tank and im sitting at a 1/4 tank now, so i'll maybe get 160ish. I was getting 270 before the off road H.

I put 93 octane in it before I put the H pipe on, do yall think it's just burning it up or are my MIL eliminators shot? Do I have to keep the battery off for a period of time? I didn't plug the front O2 censors in because my friend said that the only sensors that mattered were the rear and it looked like it was about to rain so I just left the front censors plugged into the pipe but not the car.

As you can tell my h-pipe nor eliminators came with any instructions but I grew up on backyard 5.0s so im not a complete newb. This is my first post on the forum, sorry its one begging for help.

My Car is a 2003 GT.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
300exman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HORRIBLE Gas Mileage, Please help

you have to plug in all o2s. that might help you out
Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM
WhiteyonWelfare

Ahhggg! I knew it would be those. Guess I have to go and get the ol ramps again doh![:@]
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

that, and im sure sine you put your new pipe on your not babying it too much either ;-)
Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

You need to punch your friend in the face. Your front O2 sensors are the ones that control the air/fuel ratio of the car- they are the IRREPLACABLE ones.

Your car has been running in closed loop the entire time because it had no O2 sensors to adjust accordingly. Basically, you have been running superrich so you don't blow up.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 AM
WhiteyonWelfare

Yeah I thought that, this is my first 4.6 motor and my friend has had 3(crashed 2 lol). Thanks guys, i'll plug them in as soon possible. Do you think I've done any engine damge?!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zanador

You need to punch your friend in the face. Your front O2 sensors are the ones that control the air/fuel ratio of the car- they are the IRREPLACABLE ones.

Your car has been running in closed loop the entire time because it had no O2 sensors to adjust accordingly. Basically, you have been running superrich so you don't blow up.
+1

Also, please confirm you put the 02 eliminators on the REAR sensors and not the front. The rear sensors do nothing but make sure your cats are present and working, the front ones do all the tuning work.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 AM
WhiteyonWelfare

Yeah I plugged them into the rear, I don't have the o2 sensors hooked up to the car only in the front. It seems to be running really smooth and im not getting any problems out of it, just horrible gas milage. No performance issues or anything.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Like zany said... please punch your friend in the face.
You need to plug those front 02's in as soon as you can.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteyonWelfare

Yeah I plugged them into the rear, I don't have the o2 sensors hooked up to the car only in the front. It seems to be running really smooth and im not getting any problems out of it, just horrible gas milage. No performance issues or anything.
even though you have mills, you still have to plug them into the car or you'll still get a CEL

Quick Reply: HORRIBLE Gas Mileage, Please help