MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Rear Main Seal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/388743-rear-main-seal.html)

02GTSteve 01-02-2008 05:49 PM

Rear Main Seal

I have an 02 Auto GT and last year I had to replace the Rear main seal and wouldn't you know it it is leaking again. Has anyone else had this type of problem with the seal? Thanks in advance for your help.

19nickj86 01-02-2008 07:27 PM

RE: Rear Main Seal

i have an 01 gt...just bought it maybe 6 months ago...it sat for 3 months and it has a puddle the size of a softball....

02GTSteve 01-03-2008 09:33 AM

Is it coming off the bell housing? After taking the trans out is there anything difficult about taking the seal out? Also what would cause this part to wear out so quickly. I had it replaced a year ago.

amoosenamedhank 01-03-2008 10:06 AM

I replace mine just out of good practice when I had the transmission off the first time I put the car back together. Well when I replaced it I pinched the seal and it actaully started to leak. Just my luck. So I had to take the whole dam thing back apart. You have to be careful and make sure that the seal is full seated all the way around the crank. Make sure that part of the seal doesn't get folded over.

mr5vtps 02-23-2008 08:02 AM

I too have an 02 GT Auto. Car has 71000 on it and the rear main seal is leaking. Took it to the dealer (covered under extended warranty) last week for repair. So far he still has the car so I don't know the outcome or cause of the rear main seal failure. IMO the seal should not have failed at this mileage.

oxfordgt 02-23-2008 03:46 PM

Check to make sure the PCV valve isnt clogged. Excess preasure in the crankcase will push oil out the seals.

racer02GTstang 02-23-2008 07:28 PM

the rear main seals are hard to make perfect when replacing. its hard to keep them from even having a small leak.

MoKo_04GT 02-23-2008 11:53 PM

i think i might have the same problem here on my 04? ive had this seal replaced twice now. its leaking again right now, and has been for months. when i get my oil changed i have them check the tranny fluid and of course add some if its low. they dont have to add fluid every time, so it must be a slow/small leak. still leaking non the less....and like i said....has been replaced more than once. tired of replacing the damn thing. sound like the same thing?

apparently (after reading some of the later posts) my leak is not the rear main seal. shows how much i know. this is why i take my cars in to a shop lol.

racer02GTstang 02-24-2008 12:00 AM

rear main seal is on the engine, not the tranny

gbic1 02-24-2008 12:06 AM

Make sure you pack the inside of the seal with Vasoline to keep spring from falling out. If you dont have correct installer then make one I some times use PVC pipe. I cut it and glue cap on it the tap seal in with plastic hammer.