4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Transmission Problem! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM
DarkyX

Default New Transmission Problem! Need Help!

I pulled a newbie mistake. I purchased a transmission with 90 day warranty thank goodness.
I was half way finishing my install of this transmission on a 1999 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 GT Manual Transmission, when I noticed it will not shift into any gear and is stuck in reverse. I noticed this when I was trying to attach the driveshaft and it would not rotate. I thought well its stuck into gear and put it into neutral and voila. When I tried this I was like WTF?! it will not shift at all. I do realize that the rear connections to the driveshaft do rotate but still now I am like wtf?

What could be causing the new transmission not to go into gear gear and is stuck? I put 2 quarts of tranny oil thinking it might be that. However after I put that in still will not move. I know it takes 5but still should shift right?

So before I put the whole back together I am asking the pros what could it be !

Thanks to all that reply.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
DarkyX

Default RE: New Transmission Problem! Need Help!

bump
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

You didn't have to take the tail housing off for any reason did you?

I'm not sure on a T45.. if you bought a T45, but for a T3650 it takes more like 3.25 quarts..

We was actually just replacing the tail housing on a 3650 on a friends car and it wouldn't go into neutral because of a little "gate" type thing that the rear shift fork slides in wasn't in the right position.. This shouldn't be the problem though unless you've had the transmission apart messing with it.. It'd be an easy mistake for any transmission shop though since by bumping the tail housing against this "gate" when putting the tail housing on could cause this problem..

Transmissions digest says

"On 2001-04 models of the 3650 the oil fill specs was 3.8 liters of dexron III ATF. The unit was validated using mobil one synthetic transmission fluid but was changed to dexronIII for a slightly lower viscosity and improved cold shifting performance. these units has a problem with a "nibble" on the 1-2 shift, After much study and research it was found that the oil level was too high in the uni. This caused windage problems with the excess lube causing the gears to over-synchronize. this is because when the gear train is submerged in too much oil the transmission fluid overheats and foams and affects the turning ratio of the gear train similar to your trying to run on the beach in 2 feet of water. The increased resistance to turning slows the gears prematurely and alters the synchronizer timing, causing shift problems. The oil level was reduced to 3 liters and the problem was resolved."
Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 AM
DarkyX

How did you fix that problem? Please let me know.

David