4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering Kits advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering Kits advice

ORIGINAL: salvatore

your car already has cc plates stock. all the alignment place or you has to do is drill the rivets out. its not an assumption. If you drop more than 1 and half then you need different cc plates. otherwise your wasting your money. Also, like i said my vehicle has been this way for 20k miles with same tires and no abnoral wear. i first thought the same thing that i needed extra stuff at this drop and bought extra crap i needed to return because people on here most of the time dont know crap and is just passing on what someone told them. READ YOUR FACTS before telling me its assuming. Its not.
[align=left] [/align]
As I've stated earlier, you must take each car's manufacturing differences into account, when it comes to something like suspension geommetry a small change can cause very different outcomes. You can become all butt hurt if you want, but making statements in caps do not change the fact that the stock cc plates are inadequately designed to align the car. I am not passing nothing on that I've heard from other people as I believe most people on mf no just as much about mustang suspension as they do about a astro physics. Go to an align shop and watch the cars that go in there to be lowered and what not, hell you can even ask the tech's questions. I learned by actually being allowed to align my GT after I installed the front/rear coilovers and the lca's, I did so under the watchful eyes and tips from an autox/roadracing shop, after we ran the car on a soloII course thats when they finally set the alignment of my car. So I do have a basic understanding of this, plus I have spent alot of time researching the suspension geometry of the sn95 platform.

But please, if you have information you care to present please do so without caps, and present them. My facts are here and I'd love to read what you have to go on. If your information is valid, then I have no problem in admitting fault. And since you seem like a credible guy and know your stuff, I would also like to hear your views on the mustangs stock 4 link.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

yeah I don't think you will be hearing from him. But dude if you want to be safe go with CC plates I got the bump steer kit cc plates and shocks, struts, and springs and the car handles great and it aligned properly. The last thing you want to do if have a bad alignment and wear your tires out quickly.

ORIGINAL: Aereon

your car already has cc plates stock. all the alignment place or you has to do is drill the rivets out. its not an assumption. If you drop more than 1 and half then you need different cc plates. otherwise your wasting your money. Also, like i said my vehicle has been this way for 20k miles with same tires and no abnoral wear. i first thought the same thing that i needed extra stuff at this drop and bought extra crap i needed to return because people on here most of the time dont know crap and is just passing on what someone told them. READ YOUR FACTS before telling me its assuming. Its not.
[align=left][/align]
As I've stated earlier, you must take each car's manufacturing differences into account, when it comes to something like suspension geommetry a small change can cause very different outcomes. You can become all butt hurt if you want, but making statements in caps do not change the fact that the stock cc plates are inadequately designed to align the car. I am not passing nothing on that I've heard from other people as I believe most people on mf no just as much about mustang suspension as they do about a astro physics. Go to an align shop and watch the cars that go in there to be lowered and what not, hell you can even ask the tech's questions. I learned by actually being allowed to align my GT after I installed the front/rear coilovers and the lca's, I did so under the watchful eyes and tips from an autox/roadracing shop, after we ran the car on a soloII course thats when they finally set the alignment of my car. So I do have a basic understanding of this, plus I have spent alot of time researching the suspension geometry of the sn95 platform.

But please, if you have information you care to present please do so without caps, and present them. My facts are here and I'd love to read what you have to go on. If your information is valid, then I have no problem in admitting fault. And since you seem like a credible guy and know your stuff, I would also like to hear your views on the mustangs stock 4 link.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
bullitt33
1st Gear Member

my car is 3/4 lowered from the factory. how far can i drop my car if i put 315's on the back....

[IMG]local://upfiles/87563/5F886C2C780F420B88DBD64C272E4F4D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I have a 2000 GT with Eibach 2 in drop in the front and 1.8 in the rear. I have 18X10 in the rear 315/30/18 No rub, Front i have 18X9 with 275/35/18 and i rub only when i turn my wheel all the way. And I NEED camber caster plated because of inner tire ware. You do notneed camber caster platesif your car is dropedless than an inch and a half.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTRACER88

I have a 2000 GT with Eibach 2 in drop in the front and 1.8 in the rear. I have 18X10 in the rear 315/30/18 No rub, Front i have 18X9 with 275/35/18 and i rub only when i turn my wheel all the way. And I NEED camber caster plated because of inner tire ware. You do notneed camber caster platesif your car is dropedless than an inch and a half.
I disagree with this, reasons stated above.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 AM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

i agree with his statement. Look at your stock plates. They do provide enough adjustment up to 1 and half drop. The rivets are there from the factory to install them quicker. After the rivets are drilled out you can adjust them and add bolts to them.

As far as your comments about the physics, i really dont care or know. What i do know is my car is doing just fine for me as stated before. If your like me at a 1 and half drop, your probably not autox it. Regardless autoxing your killing your tires anyway. If i was autoxing it, i would be alot lower. I am just using it for street use and my application is just fine. No need for cc plates at all. Thanks
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 AM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

i dont have aftermarket cc plates and my alignment is doing great. even tire wear and handles great. One more post for me. Watch out ill catch up to you guys and know everything now.lol
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

i agree with his statement. Look at your stock plates. They do provide enough adjustment up to 1 and half drop. The rivets are there from the factory to install them quicker. After the rivets are drilled out you can adjust them and add bolts to them.

As far as your comments about the physics, i really dont care or know. What i do know is my car is doing just fine for me as stated before. If your like me at a 1 and half drop, your probably not autox it. Regardless autoxing your killing your tires anyway. If i was autoxing it, i would be alot lower. I am just using it for street use and my application is just fine. No need for cc plates at all. Thanks
[align=left] [/align]
So you don't care about physics or mathmatics. Your car's suspension is basically science. The placement of things and degree's of angles they are placed at are set up differently all have a purpose a change in caster camber or toe by .01 degrees has different affects. I have an alignment set for road racing and yes it does wear tires out slightly quicker but the increase in grip well offsets this. I'll end this argument, people can take advice from him if they want, as I can see continuing this discussion will get nowhere as you are not open to the possibility that FoMoCo created alot of cars with varying differences.

Good luck.

Last thing I'd say is goto a place that deals with autox, roadrace or soloII cars. The car owners of these cars are very finicky about exact alignment specs, and will voice their opinion on the place. Thus meaning places that can tune your suspension precisely and accurately will survive, places that can't will have very little business from the racing community.

i dont have aftermarket cc plates and my alignment is doing great. even tire wear and handles great. One more post for me. Watch out ill catch up to you guys and know everything now.lol
[align=left] [/align]

heres a +1 for me as well.

Your not gonna know everything if you decide to be close minded, you may think you are but your just passing on misinformation, I'm tired of trying to clear some of it so good luck to mf'ers.

Salvatore, if you think you know things about suspension and handling then please goto corner-carvers.com and post what you know, you'll find that your little bubble will be punctured in the most nicest way, they do not accept anything without empirical data to back it up.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ontariogt

I am looking at lowering my car and want to go 1" to 1.5" in drop. I don't want to slam the car however want a better stance and better handling. I am looking at putting 275's all around, and if I do lower the car will 275's fit on all fours..
You will be fine with a 1-1.5" and 275 all around. Some will recommend C/C plates and bump steer kit for any drop, but I'm here to tell you that most mustangs are fine without them. Like Aereon said, due to stock variances, some cars will requre adjustable caster camber plates. The stock ones can be drilled out and used BTW. But I have never heard or seen anyone needing them for under 2" drop. If you were auto-xing or road racing, they would definitely be beneficial regardless of ride height so you could fine tune your suspension. On your application, they would most likely just look nice under the hood.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

cc plates are a waste at 1.5 drops. Its pointless if your dropping the vehicle on a budget. look at your stock plates and tell me you cant adjust them at all? thx
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits advice