4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering Kits advice

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering Kits advice

ORIGINAL: salvatore

cc plates are a waste at 1.5 drops. Its pointless if your dropping the vehicle on a budget. look at your stock plates and tell me you cant adjust them at all? thx
[align=left] [/align]
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here... I've never once said you were wrong that he MIGHT not need CC plates, BUT, most cars will need an aftermarket cc plate when they are lowered in order to align correctly. YES you can use the stock cc plates to adjust alignment but they're very limited in the degrees that it can be moved to.

At first reading about how your just coming back to mf cause of all the misinformation and you can't stand it and whatnot, but your being just as bad. Please goto an alignment shop, not just any alignment shop, but one that specializes in roadracing, and learn something. We are all here to learn but if you must present misinformation please do not attempt to make yourself seem like your above the others here.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

i did go to a performance alignment shop like posted before. You are 100 percent right that you can adjust your stock plates and that they are very limited. My vehicle at a 1 1'2 drop didnt need aftermarket ccplates. you can try to beat a dead horse but youll never win.lol Anyways, my point is i bought camber bolts for my car because people were informing me i needed those at my drop and lower than that i would need aftermarket ccplates. I went to a performance alignment and frame svc shop and they told me i didnt need to use the bolts that my stock plates would work. It did and also the guy that did my car does mustang race cars all day long. They were nice and bought the camber bolts off of me for what i paid since i couldnt return them.

Im not trying to be mr. noitall here. Im just trying to help the guy out. Hes looking for a similar drop like mine and im informing him that it can be done on a budget if your not racing it. So please stop bashing my posts. thanks
[align=left] [/align]
Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I dropped my car 1.5" last spring. I bought a new set of C/C plates just in case.

I never put them on when I did the springs/shocks/struts because I was told by a few people who did a1.5" drop that I wouldn't need them.

Guess what? I did not ever need them. Absolutely no abnormal tire wear yet.
I even checked them every few weeks with a thread depth gauge and the fronts and backs were exactly the same on the inside and outside of each tire. Still no abnormal wear to this day.

Not sure if this is the case with all springs that give a 1.5" dropbut I installed Tein H-tech's with KYB GR-2's for shocks/struts and had no problems at all..
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
ontariogt
1st Gear Member

wow lots of info thanks guys however what is the best kit out there on the market for the drop I want to do...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

cc plates are a waste at 1.5 drops. Its pointless if your dropping the vehicle on a budget. look at your stock plates and tell me you cant adjust them at all? thx
[align=left] [/align]
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here... I've never once said you were wrong that he MIGHT not need CC plates, BUT, most cars will need an aftermarket cc plate when they are lowered in order to align correctly. YES you can use the stock cc plates to adjust alignment but they're very limited in the degrees that it can be moved to.

At first reading about how your just coming back to mf cause of all the misinformation and you can't stand it and whatnot, but your being just as bad. Please goto an alignment shop, not just any alignment shop, but one that specializes in roadracing, and learn something. We are all here to learn but if you must present misinformation please do not attempt to make yourself seem like your above the others here.
Lets let the dead horse go people. Aereon, the problem with what your saying is in reality most (if not all 99-04 stangs) will not need aftermarket cc plates when lowered 1 1/2" or less. The stock plates will almost always suffice when lowered that much. In fact a lot of people don't even need to adjust anything at all.

It doesn't sound like this guy is building an SCCA roadcar. He is not building a road racing machine, He just wants to lower his mustang. It sounds like you have a good amount of knowledge with suspension, but in this case you are recommending him to spend extra money that he probably doesn't need to.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

ORIGINAL: Aereon

[align=left] [/align]

Lets let the dead horse go people. Aereon, the problem with what your saying is in reality most (if not all 99-04 stangs) will not need aftermarket cc plates when lowered 1 1/2" or less. The stock plates will almost always suffice when lowered that much. In fact a lot of people don't even need to adjust anything at all.

It doesn't sound like this guy is building an SCCA roadcar. He is not building a road racing machine, He just wants to lower his mustang. It sounds like you have a good amount of knowledge with suspension, but in this case you are recommending him to spend extra money that he probably doesn't need to.
In reality, yes I am recommending him to get cc plates, and I understand that it is not needed on everycar. I am just hoping people understand that there are stock variances that may make them required. I am sorry if it came off as pushy tho. There will be very little if any tech left in the posts I make after this, as they never seem to get a too great a reception.

I would like to recommend a set of h&r sports (~1") or supersports (~1.5-1.75") drop. They are much better in quality than eibach, main complaint people have are that they are a bit stiffer but the stiffness is due to the slightly better quality. Eibach springs tend to sag a bit quicker than any other spring I've seen, and thats including ebay springs, this is with personal experience tho so take it for what its worth. Also the complaint about ride quality is normally with stock shocks/struts that were not designed for any other height besides stock. Now regardless of springs, I would recommend either the tokico 5 way adjustables or the cheaper strange adjustable shocks/struts, they can be as firm(up to a certain point) or as soft(again up to a certain point) as you'd like. I have used and like the tokico 5 ways alot, and the ability to change from track to street settings a very easy feature to use. I would have bought a set of tokico coilovers but the bilstein mm coilovers fit my car and needs better.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ontariogt

wow lots of info thanks guys however what is the best kit out there on the market for the drop I want to do...
Eibach Pro-kit, Ford Racing C-Springs, H&R Super Sports, are probably the most popular sets and are all good springs.
They range from 1 to 1 1/2." I would do some research about each individual spring characteristics to see what best suits your needs.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 AM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

If you dropping the car on a budget i would recommend ford b progressive rate springs with bullitt shocks and struts.
If you want to spend more i would still stick with a progressive rate spring with bilstein shocks and struts. Being progressive rate will keep ride quality but still perform well. You don't really need adjustable shocks and struts unless your going from street to track. Bilsteins are a great product that saleen, roush and alot of german cars use.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Silverstangin

Smile

I dropped my 03 GT with Eibach pro kit and my alignment was way off. -1.8 and -1.5 on camber which was way too much for the factory stock cc plates. I did also drill out rivets and still could not move enough room cause one plate was darn near all the way out for camber. I am looking to pick up some camber bolts though since I do not race at all just a dd car.
Just my 2 cents that like most others have already said factory plates do work for some but not all.