4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is a Catback Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

Default What is a Catback Exhaust??

OK, I think I know the answer, but I continually see the term "catback" used in different ways with differing exhaust configuarations. So, what is "catback exhaust" really?

Same for "offroad" h- or x-pipe.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What is a Catback Exhaust??

catback...is in fact from the cat's back.

off road h's and x's are without the cats.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

actually cat backs aren't from the cats back. They are after the cats and to the tips. They don't include the cats. The midpipes do x-pipe..h-pipe...prochamber...

Also, didn't you post a detailed explanation of camshafts degrees and vlave overlap earlier??? And you don't know what a catback is? Did you do a cut and paste on that subject?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

look under your car... it's the part that includes the mufflers and tips.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

It's all the exhaust behind the h-pipe (exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tips).
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

actually cat backs aren't from the cats back. They are after the cats and to the tips. They don't include the cats. The midpipes do x-pipe..h-pipe...prochamber...

Also, didn't you post a detailed explanation of camshafts degrees and vlave overlap earlier??? And you don't know what a catback is? Did you do a cut and paste on that subject?
I want to keep this technical so it doesn't get pulled. Your response demostrates what I'm talking about. You disagreed with the first reply (shaun12) and then said the same thing he did contradicting yourself! He said they were "from the cats back", which would not include the cats. Then you say they are "after the cats and to the tips" which is the same as "from the cats......." "From" the cats is not inclusive of the cats.

Also, you did not read my post carefully, because I didn't say I didn't know what catbacks were. I said I do think I know but that I read a lot of different uses of the term (you agree with that, don't you)and want to know what thesecontributors say.

Some Mustangs don't have cats (mine doesn't). Some have long tube headers, shortys, or stock manifolds. So, the cats, when they are present at all, are not always in the same places.Therefore.... does "catback" refer tosome standard exhaust configuaration based on a "stock" setup, or is it some combination of things such as the h- or x-pipe (or no crossover at all), exhaust pipes, mufflers, tips, wherever they may be depending on your setup, etc.?

I appreciate the rest of theseother non-wisecrack answers. And I thank you for the compliment, but, no, I didn't cut and paste the post about cam specs. I wrote it from my own understanding about what I like for that cam grind. I'd be glad to discuss cam specs with you in a live chat if you want!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

It's all the exhaust behind the h-pipe (exhaust pipes, mufflers, and tips).
I think this is right. Some h- or x-pipes have cats in them and cats can even be locatedupstream fromthe x- or h-pipe. "After the cats, to the tips...."might include the h-pipe, so that can't be right. Cat-back exhaust doesn't include the h- or x-pipe. It is everything after the x- or h-pipe (if you even have an h- or x-pipe at all). But its also more than just mufflersto tips.

So, I guess cat-back systems are called that whether or not you have cats because the parts which comprise them come after where a cat would be if you have them at all? Maybe they were named assuming you have cats. I guess I'll quit wondering about it, but there obviously is not agreement even when you look at the three or four replies in this thread. I guess I'll still enjoy my "cat-back" system even though I don't have cats.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I have a catless-back exhaust
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

I have a catless-back exhaust
Why......I think you've solved it!!! I'm happy with that. I'll drop my question now, because I don't think there is a better answer than yours!! That's what I have too....catless backs! Thanks, lizzyfan!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

look at my sig pic [8D]

Quick Reply: What is a Catback Exhaust??