4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

GEAR installs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default GEAR installs

For those of you that have done gears yourself which I know isn't a lot, why haven't I heard of people just taking out the differential and working on it while it is just on the table? it's extremely easy to take off and I would assume easier. All the installs I have heard and read about even by mechanics work under the car. Is there something that I am missing? It should make install easier right? Just trying to get some extra info before I attempt the install. was supposed to install them last friday but the gears never made it in time [:@], I guess this friday is the big day now.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GEAR installs

You would have to take out the entire rear end. It is easier to just jack the rear of the car up really high, set it on some jack stands on the frame, and go to town. I did my own gears, it is not a bad job. Just take your time. Do you have a good set of instructions? If you want, look at these, http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html, they are the ones I used and it went really smooth. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Taking the whole axle out (and obviously putting it back in) would easily add5 to6--probably more--hours to what is already to 4 to 5 hours job. [/align][/align]You'llneed a BIG table too, as the axle assembly weighs 200+ pounds and is pretty big...[/align]
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

I did my gears and it is fairly easy to do. justput it up on jack stands like what was said before and go to town just, make shure you have everything including shims, bearings( if you choose to replace them), a special white paint that will let you check your allignment. and friction modifier that you add with the diff oil.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Taking the whole axle out (and obviously putting it back in) would easily add5 to6--probably more--hours to what is already to 4 to 5 hours job. [/align][/align]You'llneed a BIG table too, as the axle assembly weighs 200+ pounds and is pretty big...[/align]
LMAO[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Don't take the axle assembly out. The problem with removing it is that you will have no leverage to crank down the crush collar(which could be very tough) and just to get the bearing races in and out, it's nice to not wonder if the axle is moving on you. Not to mention it's extra work that doesn't need to be done. I did my gear install in roughly 4hrs. Never even used a micrometer. I di use a vernier caliper to measure the thickness of the ring and pinion compared to stock ones, but that's it. Never even used a torque wrench for the crush collar sleeve...lol Old school baby! Never had any troubles with any of my gear installs! I would reccomend following instructions that have been given. I have done these before and know what things should feel and look like. Just make sure you goop up the pinion real good with marking compound to check the depth.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

So I would have to take the whole rear axle out? I can't just take out the "Pumpkin"? I would assume this would be easier instead of working on your back the whole time. Sorry if I sound like a dumarse but I'm not really doing the install a friend is and I'm there to kind of help/watch.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
True Blue Racing
2nd Gear Member

you don't have to take the rear end. I am installing new gears in mine right now, i did take the rear end out b/c im redoing all the suspension components. and the whole rear end assembly including axle's does not wiegh 200lbs
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: True Blue Racing

you don't have to take the rear end. I am installing new gears in mine right now, i did take the rear end out b/c im redoing all the suspension components. and the whole rear end assembly including axle's does not wiegh 200lbs
[/align][/align]You are correct, it was the IRS I saw spec'd at 200, the live axle weighs 125# -- it's still not worth taking the whole thing out just to change gears.[/align][/align]For what you are doing however it makes perfect sense to do the gears while it's out...[/align]