4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New guy in need of advise

Old 01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
sellswo1

Default New guy in need of advise

Hello to all... hope everyone is having a great new year so far. My name is Seth and I am the proud owner of a black 1997 mustang gt. I have had her for about a year and a half now... when I got her she had 99,000 miles. About 1,800 miles later the odometer stopped working? I guess its not such a big deal for nowconsidering I plan to own her forever . The only mods I have done so farare flowmaster mufflers and projector headlights. I have had my eyes on a set of saleen wheels and tires for some time now... but I just cant afford it. O... did I forget to mention I'm a college student . I have big plans for my mustang... but they are a ways into the future. For now I would just like to figure out some mods/parts that could get my mustang at a higher level of performance... nothing to extreme or expensive though.It would be great if I could get around 300hp. I have a part time job and make about $300 a month. My parents cover gas and insurance so that $300 can be used for cool stuff. I have been told to start out with cold air intake, throttle body, plenum, and then move on to exhaust. I don't know if this was good advise or not? It would be great 'if someone could send me a list of mods/parts I should purchase and bolt on.... and in what order I should purchase them and bolt them on. Advice would be MUCH appreciated... thanks in advance guys and gals. I can't wait to smoke a fellow co-workers' LS1 firebird !
Old 01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New guy in need of advise

Man, I dont even know where to start with this question... With $300 bucks to spend a month it'll beAWHILE b4 you get to 300RWHP. Most people do exhaust first or CAI, but it dosen't really matter what order you do the mods you named first. Dont expect any big gains out of those mods you listed with a non PI car though.You could get a CAI for about $190. It would take you a couple of months for exhaust ($650)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Jono 02 stang

You got a long way to go it you are tring to bet a LS1 Firebird, but you can get there. You are on the right path,cold air intake, throttle body, plenum,exhast are what most people start at even when they are low on cash. Check the Mustang Classifiedsand you might get a nice use part for cheap. I would start off with some gears 3.73, 3.90, 4.10's anything lower then 3.73 is a waste of money. Check Americanmuscle.com they have great deals and free shipping. GOOD LUCK on your car!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
silversol81
2nd Gear Member

Buy your self parts (piece by piece) for a pi swap. That's the best bang for your buck mod besides gears with your budget.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

g/l getting enough to beat an ls1 on 300 a month....

it will take quite a bit to get to 300rwhp on a 97
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
ThisIsMyStang
2nd Gear Member

I would say wait till you get out of school! Save up your money while your parents are still paying for things and then when you get that good job when you're out you can go nuts with modifying your car or even sell it and get a newer Cobra with less miles! Just speaking from experience! I could have 2 Cobra's by now if I had just saved!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean. Too bad its not ez to save
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
PowerPonyPatrol
1st Gear Member

I was in the same boat you were about 5 years ago. My senior year of HS and I had $300 car payments every month, but I also worked a lot during the summer and made up some good money. $300 a month can get you some easy bolt on things here and there, which eventually will add up to a decent increase, but nothing just instantly high. Some good starter things would be air intake, throttle body, gears, exhaust. Exhaust can be expenisve if you do the entire system up to the engine (exhaust, cats, x/h pipe, headers), but if you save up for a few months, definitely a nice touch. That's the first huge thing I did to mine, made it sound much better, and did add a bit of performance. Or save your money up for a few months and do a PI intake swap, that will add quitea bit of performance for the cost. Here's a few websites to check out that I like, just to give you some ideas.

http://www.steeda.com/
http://www.americanmuscle.com/
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/newv8m.htm
http://www.cal-mustang.com/
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Mitch02GT

Hey man. Sounds like your on a budget. I have the answer. Forget what they told you. $300 is enough per month to get started. First off, its time to put royal purple synthetic oil in the car. Next, cold air intake, underdrive pulley kit, Possibly upgrade to 3.73 gears in the rear. That will give you about 15-20 RWHP. Not to sure exactly but it will make a difference. Then its up to you to put a bit away for the exhaust because your car needs to breath. Then if you want to get fancy you can buy one of the flash tuner chips which run for about $375. They give 17RWHP and 20 FT-LBS on stock GTS. Thats all for now. Best of luck.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
PistonsFan102
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mitch02GT

Hey man. Sounds like your on a budget. I have the answer. Forget what they told you. $300 is enough per month to get started. First off, its time to put royal purple synthetic oil in the car. Next, cold air intake, underdrive pulley kit, Possibly upgrade to 3.73 gears in the rear. That will give you about 15-20 RWHP. Not to sure exactly but it will make a difference. Then its up to you to put a bit away for the exhaust because your car needs to breath. Then if you want to get fancy you can buy one of the flash tuner chips which run for about $375. They give 17RWHP and 20 FT-LBS on stock GTS. Thats all for now. Best of luck.

gears dont increase horsepower

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy in need of advise