4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger vs. PI heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:49 AM
98 white gt

Default Supercharger vs. PI heads

What would be better for the money and performance wise. The supercharger would give me more power im sure but would i need the better flow of PI heads to really get big gains from this? Should i buy a cheaper paxton or vortec or save up for the kenne bell? The stock block can handle this much power from what ive read, but how about that t5 with 100k on it? Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:07 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger vs. PI heads

a basically stock 98 GT with a blower at 10 PSI will barely crack 300 hp. there's a guy in my area who has one. it makes alot more torque, but the boost forces a huge load increase on the rods, wich can't take it. with ported heads and cams you can easily make 300 rwhp. with a better bactback and bigger injectors, i should be up to 310. and with some new bolt ons, even more. and it's more reliable.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 PM
98 white gt

Thanks BC sounds like should save for some pi heads then. should i just buy pi heads and get them ported or pi alone enough. then i have heard good things aoubt comp cams, and the pi intake with all that you think i could have 300 rwhp? with a tune also of course. because right now i am only making 191 to the wheels [&o] & 267 rwtq
Old 03-23-2005, 09:28 PM
98stngfrk
2nd Gear Member

Definetly go with the headswap. You would regret haveing a slow supercharged car. Get some ported PI heads, and a few other bolt ons and you will have a better setup, and some extra cash on hand to start saving for when you do get a supercharger
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: 98 white gt

Thanks BC sounds like should save for some pi heads then. should i just buy pi heads and get them ported or pi alone enough. then i have heard good things aoubt comp cams, and the pi intake with all that you think i could have 300 rwhp? with a tune also of course. because right now i am only making 191 to the wheels [&o] & 267 rwtq
Im in the same boat with you man, it sucks, i need pi heads/intake so bad, I could get them cheap, but install is a b!tch. It will happen, I just need time...good luck, have fun with ur car.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 PM
98 white gt

thanks guys im goin for the pi ported headswap with cams and intake when i get the cash. what other bolt ons you talkin bout? Ive heard tb and plenum not much help but i have a few good ones on there. well right now money goin towards new tires just gotta decide what??? any suggestions i was looking at falkens or maybe bfg g force? trying to get best deal for money. And I try to have fun with her
Old 03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
JonBeast

If and when you get ur PI swap, you should get headers put on in the process, then you will flow even better. PI (99+) heads/cams/intake go for real cheap. I've seen them all over the place selling for $350 for the whole setup. $350 bucks (not including install) for 40+ hp, hell yea man. Best bang for the buck for our year stangs.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

before you swap in the heads go have them ported at the machine shop
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98 white gt

yea get your heads ported. throw in a good set of cams, some LT headers, and maybe a few extra bolt ons like a plenum tb combo, and some 24# injectors and you'll make 300.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
LuvBottles97GT
2nd Gear Member

Make sure that if you get the heads, do it right the first time....get those BEYOTCHS ported before you put them on. No sense in doing all the work twice

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. PI heads