4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which S/C guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Skooler

Default Which S/C guys

Which Supercharger guys? (yes another one of these post)

Before i start i just want to say i have been searching for weeks and 4hours tonight, im getting frustrated. i thought my mind was made up with a KB 2.1 but found out that it is pretty much silent. Ive read comments where people were being dicks saying sound dont matter ricer, but if im spending 5grand, i wanna hear it, and its as simple as that

So then i moved on to a Whipple and a hour later found out i was reading forums for the newer mustangs and they dont make a kit for modular besides the saleen SC which is a whipple, but as i read that is everybodys 3rd or 4th choice so i dont want that one

Now im on the procharger but really cant find what is the difference between the P-1SC and the D-1SC besides the max level is higher on the D....I see the the procharger has a whine to it at idle but kinda loses the battle to the exhaust during WOT.

Im not ever planning on making this a 700hp beast, i just want it to be faster and louder.

Another question is i was wondering if 102k miles is to late to add this mod. some say ya and most others say if it still turns on then go for it. and also, what kind of MPG change did you guys expierence after you added the SC... I know i cant go wrong with the KB or PC and im sure that will be most of the answers but im really just looking for something that will scream coming down the street, as do most people that have boughten one...

Sorry guys for the same annoying post, but ill tell ya what..a guy can only do so much homework before exploding and im at that point...
My car is also an AUTO so put that in consideration, that i cant really whind my gears out like you manuals to get more sound..
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which S/C guys

My K/B 2.1 at 6 psi makes some noise. Just not as loud as an Eaton. When you go by at full throttle you can definately hear it. You're not going to hear it at idle though.
My car has 100,000 miles on it and I've had the s/c on since 80,000 miles and it still runs like new.
I have 4:10 gears and I still get 21 mpg on the highway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/67774/FDE9C8E18A414F1EBCED6555DA3426C2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

the differance between the "P" and the "D" series procharger is the "D" hits boost faster. The Saleen/Whipple IMO isnt worth the 5K they want for it Id rather have the KB for the same price. If you cant afford the 4-5K for either procharger or KB, you could use the non intercooled vortech supercharger. They run around 3K and are really good superchargers. I believe they are a 8-9psi kit and are really dependable and sound great. If you have a "loud exhaust" then you arent going to hear really much of anything with any supercharger especially if you dont have any cats.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

First off, read this:
https://mustangforums.com/m_3332042/tm.htm

Now, if you don't want to spend 5k on a supercharger, just go with the Vortech. They are tried and true systems and everyone has one. They have produced good power adders and I have not heard many complaints about them with the exception of they don't put out 600 hp at the V2 level. And they are loud! There is the SQ model you could get to keep it quite, but the regular V2 makes plenty of noise.

As for the link above, yes, it does work. I have done it as well as a few other people. Getting the used head unit for a good price is the hardest part. I don't have mine installed because I had to sell the whole system once I got it due to the shop screwing up my headers. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

I have a Saleen Seies IV . It makes lot's of noise.[/align]Butno power !!![/align]
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

D1 or P1 procharger. Self oiling,so no oil pan tapping. And its got an air to air intercooler.

Plus they sound sick. [8D]
Old 01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Fobra
Banned

exactly, buy my s/c kit... the vortech is better several ways compared to a p-1sc (sorry guys its not dramatic, but the v2sq is superior) and my kit i sgoing for cheap, brand new. The difference between the P and D is not that it hits boost faster, if anything the D will take another few 100 rpm, but probly not, the difference is CFM, and its dramatic throughout the powerband, the p1sc will top out at round 500 -525 rwhp , with a built motor and v2sq will carry you to the 575-600 rwhp range, the Self containd part of a procharger (the oil system) is a gimmick, it does not enhance anything and in fact makes living with your s/c a PITA, (you have to remove the head unit every time you change the oil, OR take it to your dealer so he can use his special tool to change the oil, You can use a turkey baster, but that is not nearly as effective as a drain and change... which happens automaticly with a vortech which runs on motor oil, plus prochargers have to use more expensice supercharger oil, this all on top of the fact that vortech has a much better reputation (whether you believe that is the case or not), better customer service, cheaper rebuilds and a substantially cheaper kit to boot, but I am selling mine a loss, so for a brand new system you ownt find a better deal
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Fobra
Banned

on a positive not for procharger, the p1sc II has a higher step up ratio, it outperforms the older vortech v-1 systems as far as how quickly its gets into boost, however the p-1sc and v2sq step up ratio differnce is negliable
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bt1288

My K/B 2.1 at 6 psi makes some noise. Just not as loud as an Eaton.

If you spun that Kenne Bell faster you'd be amazed. Most KB's I've heard are amazingly loud..
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Skooler

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

First off, read this:
https://mustangforums.com/m_3332042/tm.htm

Now, if you don't want to spend 5k on a supercharger, just go with the Vortech. They are tried and true systems and everyone has one. They have produced good power adders and I have not heard many complaints about them with the exception of they don't put out 600 hp at the V2 level. And they are loud! There is the SQ model you could get to keep it quite, but the regular V2 makes plenty of noise.

As for the link above, yes, it does work. I have done it as well as a few other people. Getting the used head unit for a good price is the hardest part. I don't have mine installed because I had to sell the whole system once I got it due to the shop screwing up my headers. Hope this helps.
Ya i have read that post a couple dozen times, but something in me just doesnt want to do that, I think something inside would just feel better knowing that i bought a whole kit proffesionally put together...

This is still a teeter totter i cant stand it...on the procharger do you really have to remove the heads to change the oil? and how hard is that to do?
thanks for the responses so far....

Quick Reply: Which S/C guys