4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cats or no cats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Default cats or no cats?

Hey guys, what i'm wanting to know is wether i should go with cats or without cats on my exhaust. I just ordered some bbk long tubes and need to get a short x pipe. just don't know what i should get. The rest of my exhaust is a slp catback, so its already loud. how much louder would it be with no cats? or should i go with a h pipe instead of a x?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
TheMeanestofTimes
1st Gear Member

Default RE: cats or no cats?

If you have the stock exhaust with the cats then get an off-road xpipe. That way come inspection time you just throw your catted mid pipe on there. I find the H-Pipe to give more the classic muscle car roar, but the Xpipe to be a bit louder with a little more gain.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

LTs o/r mid-pipe and SLP cat-back is gonna be loud as hell. Annoying loud. Its gonna suck, and probably won't sound that great either.
I'd say with your setup and going to LTs I would get a catted x-pipe.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah considering SLP's are one of the loudest exhaust around (maybe even the loudest) LT's with an x pipe without cats will be close to the loudest you can get on the street, depending on your selection of mufflers LM1 or LM2 not sure what you have. But for the best gains I'd def go with the x pipe and it would sound the best also with that rather than the h. I'm pretty everyone would argee with me? With chambered mufflers h's sound the best and straight through x will sound the loudest and better tone? But go with the catted x unless you want it insanely loud.

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

LTs o/r mid-pipe and SLP cat-back is gonna be loud as hell. Annoying loud. Its gonna suck, and probably won't sound that great either.
I'd say with your setup and going to LTs I would get a catted x-pipe.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
TheMeanestofTimes
1st Gear Member

BBK LTs, Mac Off-Road Xpipe and Mac Pro Dumps 2.5"

That set up right there will set off every car alarm in a 3 block radius. It is extremely loud and is louder then SLP loudmouths!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

no cats if you have no laws about it..Man I love FL
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Yes i have lm1, i will prob. just go with a catted x. Don't want to draw too much attention to myself from the cops. I have just recieved the long tube and was wanting to know how hard are they to install? I know you have to pick the engine up a little to get to them and i have never done anything like that before.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

since you have lm1, get catted. it will LOUD, but it'll sound good. instead of just an insane amount of noise.

yelw02gt has bbk lt's, bbk catted h and lm1's. that car sounds AMAZING!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM
aquaman720

i have a cattless x pipe i would go with that but with the slp if you go catted it will still be loud but im a fan of the raspy exhaust sound and the cattless gave me that sound
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Will a h pipe give me a deeper exhaust note compaired to a x pipe? I have a bbk catted x pipe on my car now, its a little raspy but not bad. Never had a h pipe on it with my lm1 mufflers. Don't know what it would sound like.

Quick Reply: cats or no cats?