4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
twoshoes028

Default ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL Q's

putting the king cobra clutch in not sure whether to go light wieght aluminum flywheel or stock type what u guys think??
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL Q's

Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel. only 12lbs, very well worth every penny.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

I love my Fidanza : )
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

im running the fidanza in my car, its nice for a street car IMO. if you go to the track often your best bet is a steel flywheel, it'll help your launch due to the extra rotating inertia.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shawn02GT

im running the fidanza in my car, its nice for a street car IMO. if you go to the track often your best bet is a steel flywheel, it'll help your launch due to the extra rotating inertia.
i dont see how that works since i have 240ftlbs of torque at 1,200 rpms... i believe lightweight flywheels help a lot on take offs, ive noticed how much faster i can take off light to light.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I G Joe

i dont see how that works since i have 240ftlbs of torque at 1,200 rpms... i believe lightweight flywheels help a lot on take offs, ive noticed how much faster i can take off light to light.
extra rotational mass on the flywheel will help a car that can launch hard on sticky tires because it resists the efforts of the tires to slow the engine.

Imagine that your swinging a string with a fishing weight tied to the end of it. If you had someone else try to catch the weight, it would be easy to stop right?

now imagine that you have a bowling ball tied to the end of a rope... is your friend going to try to catch that? I don't think so.

Its not this big of a difference but you see where we are going. When you acutally "launch" (not like a street car launch, a high RPM clutch dump) the tires and weight of the car are trying to stop the motor from moving, while the motor is trying to move the car. More weight means that its harder to stop, and thus will accelerate faster.

Frankly, I think people are kidding themselves when they say they can notice an accelration differnece on a mild bolton car though (with the light fly). Its not that heavy to start with...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: I G Joe

extra rotational mass on the flywheel will help a car that can launch hard on sticky tires because it resists the efforts of the tires to slow the engine.

Imagine that your swinging a string with a fishing weight tied to the end of it. If you had someone else try to catch the weight, it would be easy to stop right?

now imagine that you have a bowling ball tied to the end of a rope... is your friend going to try to catch that? I don't think so.

Its not this big of a difference but you see where we are going. When you acutally "launch" (not like a street car launch, a high RPM clutch dump) the tires and weight of the car are trying to stop the motor from moving, while the motor is trying to move the car. More weight means that its harder to stop, and thus will accelerate faster.

Frankly, I think people are kidding themselves when they say they can notice an accelration differnece on a mild bolton car though (with the light fly). Its not that heavy to start with...
i have every bolt on except my LT's at the moment, i have the lightweight flywheel with a lightweight driveshaft, my car has amazing bottom end torque making it very driveable, city take offs are a lot easier IMO with the lightweight flywheel, as for track take off's i havent tried this. yes i hear the same story over and over again a lightweight flywheel sucks for launching... hmm ok, we'll see im on street tires not slicks. i will be getting DR's though so then again we will see, my car is very responsive.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

A lightweight flywheel hurts launches a bit (hardly even noticeable on a V8 application) but makes up for it with decreased rotational weight once you are moving = faster acceleration and a more responsive engine. People that like to heel and toe downshift love them too

We sell the Fidanza flywheels so if you need a quote, email us with your application to sales@fasttoys.net and we would be happy to help you. They are not currently listed on our web site.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

Ive heard there is more of a chance to stall the car out when starting off.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

ORIGINAL: 02STALKERGT

Ive heard there is more of a chance to stall the car out when starting off.
It's something you have to get used to. With V8 cars, you really don't notice as much because they have so much torque and reciprocating mass in the drivetrain. If you have some little 1.8 l 4 banger, it is very noticeable since they have no low end torque and the reciprocating mass is very small.

Quick Reply: ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL Q's