4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How Can I Restore Ride Quality???

Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default How Can I Restore Ride Quality???

Hey all,

I have a 2002 GT Convertible with 90k miles. I live in an urban area with terrible, bumpy roads and it has really taken a toll on the ride quality of my car. For example: When I go over bumpy roads the car shudders and rattles with every bump in the road.

The car is completely stock and has not had any suspension components replaced during its life.

How can I restore my ride quality? I am not concerned with taking corners at ridiculous speeds or racing... I just want to put some life back into the feel of my car and its ride.

Shocks?
Struts?
SPRINGS?
Bushings?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How Can I Restore Ride Quality???

ORIGINAL: racemyski

Hey all,

I have a 2002 GT Convertible with 90k miles. I live in an urban area with terrible, bumpy roads and it has really taken a toll on the ride quality of my car. For example: When I go over bumpy roads the car shudders and rattles with every bump in the road.

The car is completely stock and has not had any suspension components replaced during its life.

How can I restore my ride quality? I am not concerned with taking corners at ridiculous speeds or racing... I just want to put some life back into the feel of my car and its ride.

Shocks?
Struts?
SPRINGS?
Bushings?

Thanks for the advice!
That's a good place to start. Living down dirt roads will take it's toll on your car. Soon the car will squeak and start to make all kinds of noises. My advice is replace the underlined above and move to the city.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I would say do the Shocks and Struts and Especially the Bushings!!!! Keep that sqeaking down! Let me know how it goes after u decide to do it
Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
raginglunatic77

ORIGINAL: 02 Ninja

ORIGINAL: racemyski

Hey all,

Shocks?
Struts?
SPRINGS?
Bushings?

Thanks for the advice!
That's a good place to start. Living down dirt roads will take it's toll on your car. Soon the car will squeak and start to make all kinds of noises. My advice is replace the underlined above and move to the city.
Urban means city.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Shocks. Struts, Bushings. That should make it feel better. Let us know what you do.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Ok, will do. I haven't seen any support for replacing the springs, even with stock ones. Do springs "wear" to the point that a daily driver should replace them? Ah, and for the suggestion of moving to the city... I'm already there Maybe you're thinking RURAL in place of urban. Downtown Atlanta is KILLER for roads.

What have you gentle(wo)men installed on your cars with respect to suspension components? Any recommendations... keep in mind I want to have a factory type, civil ride instead of a super tight race feel.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
eugenef15
1st Gear Member

your springs are probly ok but look into the shocks, bushings, spring isolators, andballjoints, my car had 53k mi when i bought it and the ball joints were completely destroyed and prety much all the bushings are dry and cracking
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Fobra
Banned

you just need new struts and shocks, the sensa tracs at autozone are better than my old kyb's and have a lifetime warranty.. some subframes would help alot also... those to things alone will make it ride and feel better than it was new
Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
twixxer

hey man, ive got a 2000 gt convertible, my ride is stock as of right now and i know exactly what your talkin about with rattling and shaking, ima be installing the bullitt mustang suspension package on my car instead of stock, you can get the package for a pretty good deal, you may wanna look into that, it'll also lower ur car a bit, ive heard its not too stiff and doesn't feel all that different from stock mustang ride.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Fobra
Banned

just FYI, you can get alot better than bullit for cheaper than that kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Can I Restore Ride Quality???