4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Which Engine?

Isnt the TKo500 a five spd tho? I kinda wanted a 6psd so i could get 410s and still cruise on the freeway with out being at like 4 grand
Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 PM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

check these guys out:

http://www.dssracing.com/

i've never bought from them or known anyone who has, but they offer some different options for you to chew over. it's been a while since i've checked out their web site, but i remember seeing a nice stroker kit for the 281 that bumps it up to just over 300 ci, and you can get dish-top pistons for a lower compression ratio to run that supercharger. even just the stroker with some ported heads and a nice set of cams would be good for 350+ (maybe even 400, i'm not very familiar with the potential of the 4.6 engine because i've spent most of my life on small block chevys). i'm at 75,000 miles and considering a complete rebuild after i hit 100,000... and i agree, the stock performance of the 4.6 is pathetic (i have an '02). the gearing is terrible, i went with 3.73's and it's made a world of difference. i probably could have just gone with the 4.10s but i don't race my car and the 3.73s seem fine to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: fruhdaddy

ORIGINAL: boduke0220

a 5.4 3v
or a 4v if they make it.

But if i had to choose, i'd get me a Cobra motor,tranny, and computer.
or a GT500 motor, tranny and computer.
5.4L 4v from a navigator and boost it...you will make more power than a 4.6 4v..there is a GT on youtube or streetfire beating up on terminators and Z06s with the swap

I have a issue of MM&FF with a GT and Bullitt that still has the 2v fully built and blown laying down 650+hp and running 10s. 2v make just as much horsepower as the 4v but just takes a lil more cash to do it. So it depends on how deep your wallet is and your preference of 2v or 4v.
the 4v is always more powerful, equally modded, the 5.4 is not worth it... you wont get any more power of it really if your doing some big setup... just do FI and n20 if you need it

Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmr1923

check these guys out:

http://www.dssracing.com/

i've never bought from them or known anyone who has, but they offer some different options for you to chew over. it's been a while since i've checked out their web site, but i remember seeing a nice stroker kit for the 281 that bumps it up to just over 300 ci, and you can get dish-top pistons for a lower compression ratio to run that supercharger. even just the stroker with some ported heads and a nice set of cams would be good for 350+ (maybe even 400, i'm not very familiar with the potential of the 4.6 engine because i've spent most of my life on small block chevys). i'm at 75,000 miles and considering a complete rebuild after i hit 100,000... and i agree, the stock performance of the 4.6 is pathetic (i have an '02). the gearing is terrible, i went with 3.73's and it's made a world of difference. i probably could have just gone with the 4.10s but i don't race my car and the 3.73s seem fine to me.
dss is expensive for the stroker kit..mustangs unlimited has the 5.1 kit for $1500. I ordered it and I talked to a person that had it and he said he dynoed at 380s with H/C.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

soorry, buta stroker kit on a 4.6 is going to put you nowhere near 350 rwhp let alone 380....even with full bolt ons and heads/cams....maybe a full race built shop car that hascustom high compression pistons, runs on racegasetc etc.....but you just arent going to see an N/A 2V that an average joe could realistically get, making 350 to the wheels.....for under, im guessing, at least 20k in mods

its one thing when you're lookin at the old pushrod motors that really responded well to the added cubic inches.... say 302 to 347.....but on the mod motors, strokers dont do jack for performance.....all it really does is lower the powerband a tad and give you more lower end tourque....off the line performance is a bit better, but nothing drastic....

theres a few people on this site with stroker kits.....myself included....ask around about their power numbers....N/A with bolt ons, heads and cams, I was still under 310 to the wheels Given, I had shorties a catted midpipe and blower cams...had i longtubes, o/r midpipe and n/a cams it woulda been a LITTLE bit higher....but not really near the 350 mark...

i think zw99 has a stroker kit as well as a few others....try PMingthem for their first hand knowledge and make up your mind on that....

i dont think mitch even made 350 to the rear in the silver bucket (correct me if im wrong)...and he was definetly deeper invested into his car than i think anyone on here.....
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

soorry, buta stroker kit on a 4.6 is going to put you nowhere near 350 rwhp let alone 380....even with full bolt ons and heads/cams....maybe a full race built shop car that has 13:1 compression custom pistons etc etc.....but you just arent going to see an N/A 2V that an average joe could realistically get, making 350 to the wheels.....

its one thing when you're lookin at the old pushrod motors that really responded well to the added cubic inches.... say 302 to 347.....but on the mod motors, strokers dont do jack for performance.....all it really does is lower the powerband a tad and give you more lower end tourque....off the line performance is a bit better, but nothing drastic....

theres a few people on this site with stroker kits.....myself included....ask around about their power numbers....N/A with bolt ons, heads and cams, I was still under 310 to the wheels Given, I had shorties a catted midpipe and blower cams...had i longtubes, o/r midpipe and n/a cams it woulda been a LITTLE bit higher....but not really near the 350 mark...

i think zw99 has a stroker kit as well as a few others....try PMingthem for their first hand knowledge and make up your mind on that....
thanks for the info. i grew up building small block chevys, and like you said, they really respond to the extra displacement, but i'm really unfamiliar with the mod motors and their performance potential.

i do have a question though... is it possible to bolt on a pair of 4V heads onto my 2V engine ('02), or are there compatibility issues?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

i hear ya....i grew up with pushrods myself....a lot of companies are taking advantage of the 'tried and true' methods for getting extra horsepower out of pushrods and applying them to motors that really dont respond the same....i.e stroker kits on mod motors.....plenum/intake spacers on, pretty much anything without a carb lol....

and i have no idea about the 4V swap, but i'm willing to bet for everything involved in terms of cost, hassle and fabrication, you might as well dropa Mach 1 crate engine in.....buuuut like i said, i really have no first hand knowledge...
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Fobra
Banned

yes you can swap 4v heads, but basically you need a complete cobra motor to do it... if your goal is 400 rwhp, just buy my s/c!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Just sell your 03 GT. By an 03-04 Cobra,change the pulley.
And you've got what you're looking for. I wish I had done that.
Instead of wasting a **** pot full of money to get what I got :-(

[/align]
Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM
truedeath

GT03 you say the strokers for 4.6 arent worth it?
im going through a build up now,the heads right now, and my plan is to bore and stroke the bottom end.my head set up is full port and polish,VT stage 2 cams,bigger manley valves and new springs. ive already got off an off road x pipe and plan on throwing on long tubes. your saying without nitrous i cant hit 350rwhp with the bottom end built too?

Quick Reply: Which Engine?