4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Could this be piston slap? 99 GT /w 141k

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Tytanium

Default Could this be piston slap? 99 GT /w 141k

As I was driving home from work today (Not getting on it because I was stuck behind some slow traffic on a back road), I was accelerating out of 2nd gear when suddenly a loud popping/clicking sound began coming out of my motor. I pulled over and shut the motor off, and took a quick look at the motor, nothing looked wrong, no oil coating the underside of the hood or dripping out of the bottom of the car, though I did smell a bit of gas. I managed to limp the last half mile back to my house, the noise getting worse as I went, and the CEL began flashing, but only on deceleration while in gear.

I had AAA tow it to the stealership, and am awaiting a diagnosis tomorrow (I got a 1 year powertrain warranty when I bought the car, so I do not think that anything they can throw at me, engine related anyway, will stick)

After having looked around a bit at various videos and noise diagnosis guides, the closest thing I can think of would be piston slap. It sounded like the noise was coming out of the center of the motor, and went faster/slower as the engine revved up and down.

A recap:

Engine warm
Popping/clacking began abruptly while driving
No obvious external breakages or oil leaks
Noise coming from middle of engine
CEL on and flashing on deceleration while in-gear

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Could this be piston slap? 99 GT /w 141k

bent rod most likely
Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Tytanium

Default RE: Could this be piston slap? 99 GT /w 141k

Any other input? I can supply some details if asked. I don't know what to say specifically that might help identify it.