4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone have Comp stage 3 cams?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone have Comp stage 3 cams?

ORIGINAL: Nitti00GT

He said the duration was 278 with a .550 lift
i hope 278 is the "advertised" duration, but the duration @ .050" lift is a more relevant figure. the cam's duration and lobe separation play the biggest part in determining what rpm range your engine will make the most power in. generally, the higher the duration, the higher the usable rpm range; and i think (can't remember for sure) that the lower the lobe separation, the higher the power band too. back when i built circle track engines, we usually had maximum cam lift rules (street stockers couldn't have more than .460" lift), but no rules on the duration and lobe separation. Isky Cams made some .450" lift cams with 234 degrees duration @ .050" lift (i believe the advertised duration was somewhere close to 290 or 300; those duration figures are usually seen on cams with WAY more than .450" lift) with 112 degree lobe separation, and even though the cams didn't have high lift, they would turn up some pretty damn high rpm. power didn't kick in until above 4k and i usually hit about 7500 by the end of the straightaways. when you're selecting cams for your street car, you don't want too high a duration because you'll sacrifice a lot of bottom end. you'll still make those peak HP and torque figures that you're looking for, but acceleration and driveability is more about the entire power band than just peak figures. remember, HP is an engine's ability to produce torque overtime (hp = torque x rpm / 5252), so a solid torque curve should be a higher priority than some peak HP figure at some far-off RPM.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmr1923

He said the duration was 278 with a .550 lift
i hope 278 is the "advertised" duration, but the duration @ .050" lift is a more relevant figure. the cam's duration and lobe separation play the biggest part in determining what rpm range your engine will make the most power in. generally, the higher the duration, the higher the usable rpm range; and i think (can't remember for sure) that the lower the lobe separation, the higher the power band too. back when i built circle track engines, we usually had maximum cam lift rules (street stockers couldn't have more than .460" lift), but no rules on the duration and lobe separation. Isky Cams made some .450" lift cams with 234 degrees duration @ .050" lift (i believe the advertised duration was somewhere close to 290 or 300; those duration figures are usually seen on cams with WAY more than .450" lift) with 112 degree lobe separation, and even though the cams didn't have high lift, they would turn up some pretty damn high rpm. power didn't kick in until above 4k and i usually hit about 7500 by the end of the straightaways. when you're selecting cams for your street car, you don't want too high a duration because you'll sacrifice a lot of bottom end. you'll still make those peak HP and torque figures that you're looking for, but acceleration and driveability is more about the entire power band than just peak figures. remember, HP is an engine's ability to produce torque overtime (hp = torque x rpm / 5252), so a solid torque curve should be a higher priority than some peak HP figure at some far-off RPM.
Nicely put 10inch Terrorandrmr1923. I was worried about bottom end power. He told me he would bring me his dyno sheet. He said he made a lot of power over 4500. I think I will keep my stage 1s in for now and get it dyno tuned with full bolt ons and see how I like it. The dude that built my motor said it's built for low end torque and power with still having good power up top. Thanks guys that answered my question about power.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Its too much cam. With your ported heads go with a stage 2 or so. Even with teh stage 2, your not going to see that much of a gain over stage 1s at this point though...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

those are hella aggressive
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

He showed me the cams and gave me the cam card yesterday. The specs are .545 lift and duration is, intake 242 exhaust 246 @ .050. They are the XE278AH cams. I am prolly just going to stay with the stage 1s I have and just get it tuned as soon as I get my intake and gears. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
rmr1923
1st Gear Member

He showed me the cams and gave me the cam card yesterday. The specs are .545 lift and duration is, intake 242 exhaust 246 @ .050. They are the XE278AH cams. I am prolly just going to stay with the stage 1s I have and just get it tuned as soon as I get my intake and gears. Thanks for the help everyone.
wow, that's WAY too aggressive for the setup you have now. you'll lose a LOT of bottom end, and the gains you see won't be until well above 5,000 rpm and if you have a stock bottom end you can't really turn it up high enough to take advantage of that higher power band. those cams also won't work with your stock springs, but i'm guessing you have new valve springs to go with that Comp cam you have in there now (XE262H?). and with that high of a duration you may end up with piston-to-valve clearance issues if you don't have your pistons notched for the extra valve clearance (the .545" lift is probably safe, but 242/246 duration would keepthe valveopen longer and may end up hitting a piston). i think for the setup you have now, the XE262H would be your best bet because the power band will be in a safe range for your stock internals (i'm guessing you don't have a forged bottom end). what it amounts to is you may sacrifice somepeak power/torque (which will be at a higher rpm than you should be turning your engine), but you'll end up with more power and torque in the rpm range that you should be running in. let us know what kind of numbers it puts down after you get it dyno tuned, and post a dyno sheet if you have it. good luck [8D]
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah I actually go to an automotive school and I just got a 100% on my cam and valve test lol. Well I have been debating the cams for a while. The guy who put my motor together told me I have stock rods and a little bit better than stock crank. I have notched pistons to support the stage 3 cam he said. I am just going to stick with the stage 1s I have now, its like a 226 duration (not sure if thats advertised or at .050). For what I am going to be using my car for the stage 1s will be just fine. Sucks that our motors can't do much n/a but hey I am gonna save my money to make my car look as good as it sounds right now. You can't really hear the cams but it runs pretty good til 3500 then it pings like crazy. I am prolly going to be getting it tuned next month, til then I'll just rock my dads V6 vert auto [:'(]til my car is tuned. I will post numbers when it's done. I was hoping for 320-330 but from what I hear that might not be possible with full bolt ons and what's in my sig.