4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 AM
lewistk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?

if you do heads, it will raise it to 10.5:1,you need less compression if you are going to go turbo.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: lewistk

if you do heads, it will raise it to 10.5:1,you need less compression if you are going to go turbo.
Without a doubt that is too much compression for a turbo. I had 10.5:1 while running 8psi on a Vortech and had to run at least 5-6 gallons of 100 octane to keep detonation away. I went with meth injection and that took care of it but it was a total PITA!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM
N2O98gt
2nd Gear Member

P&P will lower your compression but not enough to matter if you use a PI head, IF you are planning on boosting just get your NPI heads P&P for better flow without sacrificing compression. P7P lowers the compressions a b it by making a bigger opening and therefor, same air but bigger space=lower compression
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ok, so save the money on the install of the PI heads and just P&P the ones I have now? Sounds good to me. The extra HP would be nice, but I guess I won't be missing any with the turbo

Any last thoughts?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 AM
N2O98gt
2nd Gear Member

I would also go with HPs Twin turbo set up, it is out of the engine compartment reducing underhood heat and has cool BoV positions

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm they look and are soo sick

just imo
Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 AM
MACH5IVE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: N2O98gt

I would also go with HPs Twin turbo set up, it is out of the engine compartment reducing underhood heat and has cool BoV positions

http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04%20Mustang.htm they look and are soo sick

just imo
His stock block wouldnt be able to hand a twin 50mm turbo setup... Im not even sure he can run a dual bearing 60 mm turbo on astock block, thats a decent size turbo made to make good power!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 AM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

trickdriller,
Hello once again. If you are 100% set on the single turbo, then you will have to put the money into it to do it right. Your stock block, bottom end, is not going to handle 10+psi for an extended period of time. Why not just throw a Centri on it and be down with it. There is no point IMO to get a HUGE turbo when your car cant handle the power and you have to dial your boost so low your bov is open all the time. On a 97 your going to push the block and internals to their limits, something is going to break.

Option A;My advise get a Centri and Supporting Mods and you will be happy, you will put down about 350 to 400 horse out the door without completely blowing your budget like in option B. Have it modestly tune for D&D use, I personally dont think a turbo is right for you if you can't or dont want to build your motor to hand it. Its not fun running race gas all the time to prevent detonation.

Option B; Get a short block Now and build it up exactly the way you want it, low compression for boost. And then put a Nice turbo on it with all the extras. And put down Big numbers. They will even gap your piston rings for boost. Its the way to go for sure, if you want a monster.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:11 PM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

the pi swap will raise the compression from 9:1 to 10.5:1 which is not a complementary mod to turboing the stock shortblock
Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Hello once again. If you are 100% set on the single turbo, then you will have to put the money into it to do it right. Your stock block, bottom end, is not going to handle 10+psi for an extended period of time. Why not just throw a Centri on it and be down with it. There is no point IMO to get a HUGE turbo when your car cant handle the power and you have to dial your boost so low your bov is open all the time. On a 97 your going to push the block and internals to their limits, something is going to break.
LOL, some people obviously dont know how turbos work. Go with the turbo. I had a procharger on 10lbs and my turbo on 9lbs would leave it in the dust. Superchargers sap too much on the motor. You would be fine to run 10lbs and probably more with a 60mm turbo. I am not sure of the horsepower capabilities of a S195 car but it is probably the same as the new edge. Dont worry about heads and all the other BS just get the turbo and a good boost controller and have whoever tunes the car set up a good safe boost level. I am running 9lbs and making 415/480.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
dennis_112
3rd Gear Member

Its not that I dont understand how a turbo works. I just would rather someone without forged internals go the blower route. At least the crank. At 13psi, we are talking HIGH compression. If the tune is off even 1 degree, that motor is done. I feel that a centri would make more sense. Which is true for a pretty much stock car. The car will have to be built around the turbo after install or he will never hook up. With a centri he will have low boost at launch instead of putting 350lbft to the pavement @ 3000rpm. He would get off the line without traction issues, because he will be making BIG power at a higher rpm. It mores then who has the most HP, if he cant pant it then it does no good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?