4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?

I posted this in the Pipes Boost and Juice sections, but hits are hard to come by over there Soooooo:

Ok, I think I might go turbo. Who knows, but for now it's the best power adder deal I can find. SO, let's assume that I do go that route. I am looking at a single turbo (60mm, dual ball bearing) kit at the moment. I understand that this kit can take me to 600 hp, so it'll work just fine

Here's the questions: if I can reach that number off the turbo alone, is it worth it to do the PI swap at this point? I have a 97 GT and can get a good deal on a PI swap, but do I really need it? The only reason I think I would get it is to get more low end torque so I can get to the boost a bit quicker. Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?

well to make 600 hp ur gona have to built ur whole motor anyway...so u might as well to the whole swap. any one else with a new edge that was trying to make thoes numbers would have stage x heads and cams plus a p51 or whatever intake, so if ur gona go for thoes numbers then u might as well go all out
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Yea that hp level will be easier with pi parts or you could forge your bottom end and get the svo npi heads and svo npi intake but those are very expensive parts. the npi intake and heads are horrible and a singel turbo kit will not make that power on a stock motor.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris98Gt

Yea that hp level will be easier with pi parts or you could forge your bottom end and get the svo npi heads and svo npi intake but those are very expensive parts. the npi intake and heads are horrible and a singel turbo kit will not make that power on a stock motor.
a single turbo alot of times will produce higher peak numbers at the cost of spool up time. the fact of whether there are 2 or more turbos has nothing to do with peak output of the motor.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

I posted this in the Pipes Boost and Juice sections, but hits are hard to come by over there Soooooo:

Ok, I think I might go turbo. Who knows, but for now it's the best power adder deal I can find. SO, let's assume that I do go that route. I am looking at a single turbo (60mm, dual ball bearing) kit at the moment. I understand that this kit can take me to 600 hp, so it'll work just fine

Here's the questions: if I can reach that number off the turbo alone, is it worth it to do the PI swap at this point? I have a 97 GT and can get a good deal on a PI swap, but do I really need it? The only reason I think I would get it is to get more low end torque so I can get to the boost a bit quicker. Any thoughts?
eh,i don't think you'd want to raise the compression if you're going FI. Now if you're doing the whole build,a low compression PI motor would be ideal.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Fobra
Banned

Welll dont do a stock PI swap. Buy the stage 3 D&D PI heads on ebay they are only 1300, your wasting your time to do a NPI Turbo, it can make good power, but for such a cheap uprade, there is no reason not to do it right the first time
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ok, sorry if I said that incrorrectly. I don't care about numbers really. I was just saying that the turbo can put out 600 hp, that's all.

I just want to make sure that if I get the PI swap, it won't interfere with the turbo. I think if I do the swap and single turbo, I would at least like to see 350, or whatever is ok for the block to handle. I know with that combination I can do much more, but I just want to keep the engine running until I can get the shortblock
Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Fobra
Banned

well unless you run low power - 300-350 rwhp I would not suggest running a turbo unitl you get a forged bottom end
Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
N2O98gt
2nd Gear Member

You also have to take into account that you will be raising your compressions to around 10.5:1 when doing the PI swap, which is not IDEAL for boosting. You are going to need a forged rotating assembly to run the numbers you are looking for. You could do the PI intake mani, get your heads P&P and some blower/turbo cams if you are planning on boosting. The type of cam you want varies between n/a and boost applications
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: N2O98gt

You also have to take into account that you will be raising your compressions to around 10.5:1 when doing the PI swap, which is not IDEAL for boosting. You are going to need a forged rotating assembly to run the numbers you are looking for. You could do the PI intake mani, get your heads P&P and some blower/turbo cams if you are planning on boosting. The type of cam you want varies between n/a and boost applications
This I know But let's say I do the P&P on the PI heads, use the PI intake and put the turbo kit on, will that lower the compression? I am not entirely sure what raises the compression ratio. Are you saing that if I do that to the heads it'll lower it, or will it stay the same?

Quick Reply: Turbo AND PI swap? Is it needed?