4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SCT Xcal 2 Tuner is locked...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:40 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

Default SCT Xcal 2 Tuner is locked...

Bought a sct tuner for $200 the guy said it was unlocked. Paid him tried it out when i got home. When i hit install tune it says ECU Unlock Fail. I guess this means the dude lied to me about it being unlocked. I have the guys phone #, adress, name. Lives 30min away. Haven't been able to get ahold of him he goes to philly for the week or somthing i guess. Don't know if this is coinsidence or he is just hiding. Anyway what are my options?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT Xcal 2 Tuner is locked...

go to his house w a damn gun and be like i want my ****in money back u liying son of a bitch
i really f'in hate people who pull that kind of ****
Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Fobra
Banned

... that would be a bad idea

first step, call the cops... (cant really do anything) but they can go over there with you to intimdate him into fixing it or giving you your money back

Second, (if need be) small claims court, allege fraud and breach of contract...

Either way its in his interest to pay up or fix it
Old 01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Did you pay through paypal? Paypal has a system for this kind of thing.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
JayDs Ibanez
3rd Gear Member

paypal took my money once
Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

The guy finally emailed me back and heres what he said:
"hello Paul, i have been staying at a friends house, i apologize for not getting back to you sooner.This tuner wasunlocked, the tunner was programed and modded for a 99 mustang asadvertised in my ad. if this doesnt work the problem could be that its not capatible for your year mustang, what is the error code stated on the display screen. Thanks Zac"

'hey paul, i forgot to mention in my other email thatthis type a tunner is not astratagy tunner, you have to get a program for your year aplication because the the computers are different. thanks Zac"

Does this make sense to anyone?

Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangEatsRice

The guy finally emailed me back and heres what he said:
"hello Paul, i have been staying at a friends house, i apologize for not getting back to you sooner.This tuner wasunlocked, the tunner was programed and modded for a 99 mustang asadvertised in my ad. if this doesnt work the problem could be that its not capatible for your year mustang, what is the error code stated on the display screen. Thanks Zac"

'hey paul, i forgot to mention in my other email thatthis type a tunner is not astratagy tunner, you have to get a program for your year aplication because the the computers are different. thanks Zac"

Does this make sense to anyone?

google SCT, call them up and see what they say the error message means.

It might not work for yoru car, however it sounds like to me he did not unload the tune from the previous car.

If nothing else, tell him since he did not mention this he owes you the money back and you don't want it.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

I'm sorry but it actually reads ECM UNLOCK FAIL when trying to install the tune, not ECU UNLOCK FAIL. Anyone have this problem before?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Google ecm unlock fail, it comes up with quite a few threads on other forums that might help you figure it out.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 AM
4.0stang
1st Gear Member

Are you still having a problem? The guy may not be lying to you so try this first. First of all the xcal2 will only work on 96 and up vehicles. You need to download the free liveload software, hook up your xcal2 with a usb printer cableand check it out. You WILL have to order an email tune $50-$75from a tuning site (like vmptuning.com) or get a local dyno to make a custom tune for your vehicle. The tune you are trying to put on has to have been made specifically to matchYOUR 4 digit computer code on your vehicle. You can't use the same tune from another vehicle. Also even if he did unlock the xcal, you still sometimes have to use the liveload software and click the unlockoption when using it on a diff vehicle.

Quick Reply: SCT Xcal 2 Tuner is locked...