4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TOB question, just replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TOB question, just replaced

durrr dees peoples not errderstang englishhhh lol u give it a VERY light coat of lube...chances aree NOTHING will **** up....
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM
cease4
1st Gear Member

You guys sound like Techinician A and Technician B in the ASE test they should make that a question hahaha
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

hahahahahahah lovin it
Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

took it to another shop and of course they said this is not normal. They want to charge me 500 to rip it out and find out whats wrong. I am not taking it back to the original mechanic...

a) he said he wont cover any warranty b/c I used my parts
b) he is an idiot and I dont want him touching my car again, I would rather pay the extra 500 to have professional mustang people look at it and figure it out.

If my new shop can get some business where we can buy a 2 post lift, I would do the diagnoisis myself, if that doesnt happen soon enough, then ill be taking it to my local performance shop.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

u do know your suppose to lube the TOB as well... made that mistake....never had a prob with it... removed the transmisson to fix it...put it backtogeather...****er whinned like a bitch...called up my transmission teacher to be like wtf did i do wrong here...he said if i didnt re lube the TOB it prob would be squeaking
So your transmition instructor told you to put a lubrication on the throw out bearing...which spins...and your not suffering from a slipping clutch?
\\

do u know what it even looks like???

it would have nothing to do with a slipping clutch... the clutch surface touches the flywheel...the TOB is behind the clutch between the tranny...has nothing to do with the acual mating surface of clutch and flywheel
I'm well aware of wtf is going on inside of a clutch assembly...I'm ASE certified andhave a degree in automotive science. Putting an excessive amount ofwet lubricant on a device which spins at a high rate of RPMSwill causesthe lube to fling everywhere.Excessive wet based lube+ friction material= slipping clutch.You should use a dry film of graphite to lube the bearing. You could use a wet based lube, but would have to be EXTREMELY stinggy with the amount your putting on there.

lol hey asshat i am also ASE certified..so please spare me... and who said anything about extreme amounts of lubrication.. and i HIGHLY doubt a tiny bit of lube is going to squeeze itself between the flywheel and friction surface of clutch...and if any at all does it will be such a small amount it wouldnt matter... oh and i lubed mine...no clutch problems...
I agree, a tiny bit of wet lube more then likely won't make it's way in there. But no one ever told the guy how much to use.However, if someone was to gob that s.o.b. up with lubrication (which I've seen happen and had to fix) it will cause issues. I just don't want the guy to have to go back in there a third time to fix the problem.

[sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

well the tech who is doing it should know better not to glob it on there lol if not...he shouldnt touch one ever agian
Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

for whoever said do not put lube on it. I just bought a new TOB today and it came with some white grease to put on the bearing retainer. not a lot but enough to coat the retainer.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 PM
GIGM08GT
2nd Gear Member

Ok Ive read the entire thread and I am looking for the cheaper solution to this problem,quadrant/firewall adjuster. I have no time or place to pull out my tranny; I can't wait to graduate. Will this work? Mine sounds like a tin can rattling around in there. Should I also try lubing it up a little too? Lastly, where would I lube and can I get at it through that little cover on the tranny?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99StangGTTN

for whoever said do not put lube on it. I just bought a new TOB today and it came with some white grease to put on the bearing retainer. not a lot but enough to coat the retainer.

thank you