4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Upgrading 02 GT Vert Suspension - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default Upgrading 02 GT Vert Suspension - Need Advice

Hey guys, I am replacing the suspension in my 02 GT Vert. The shocks/struts have 90k miles on them and the car rides like ***.

I am considering the Tokico HP Blue struts and shocks. Anyone using Mach 1 Springs with these shocks?

I want to restore my daily-driver ride quality, not turn the car into an autocross monster. I want control but not at the expense of having a bumpy, nasty ride quality.

If I lower the car, I don't want to go down more than an inch. NO BOUNCE!

Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Upgrading 02 GT Vert Suspension - Need Advice

I too am in the same predicament as you! However, I am doing a full tubular swap (K-member and lower control arms) and coilovers. I not using mine for autocrossing
but slowly building a nasty street machine.

I have researched so much in the past few months about suspensions and this is what I got from it:

If you are replacing your old suspension, anything new is going to be better than what you have on there now.

The Tokico HP blue struts should do just fine. I haven’t heard anything negative about them.

You might also want to replace your lower control arms with the Cobra lower control arms and look at getting new tie rods too. My tie rods and lower control arms are gone and my car only has 103K miles. They will cause alignment and squeaking issues if you don’t have them now with the worn suspension. Also look into the steeda x2 ball joint. It seems if you do any lowering of the car these will correct some alignment issues that caster camber plates will not.

As for the Mach 1 springs, why would you want to go with these? I don’t know much about them but I am pretty sure they are a heavier rate spring (due to the larger/heavier engine) and might make your car ride rough or sit up high in the front. I would go with something else like eibachs or H&R.

Just incase you want to know what I went with, I am using the QA1 Pro- Active system found here (http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8borla.htm) . It comes with most of the things you need, plus it’s a fully adjustable front suspension. You can put the ride height where ever you want it.

P.S. If you lower the car and buy the correct shocks, you should have no bounce.