4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger in the future

Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
gt96blue
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger in the future

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have plans of supercharging my '96 GT maybe this summer or by next winter. My question is, is do I keep my stock heads and cams and just slap a S/C on? Or can I buy a nice aftermarket cam? I really don't know too much about superchargers so i'm asking because i don't want my engine to blow! What all do I need to do in order to have a supercharger and run safe at all times without the worry of blowing my engine?

BTW - my mods right now are SLP catback, o/r x, cai. AUTO, aswell

Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger in the future

Your fine with your stock heads & cams. Get a procharger and call it a day. Oh yeah, make sure you get your car tuned when you get blown and you'll be fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

you wouldn't want to just put a supercharger on your car. the stock heads/intake are very restrictive in flow which will generate low horsepower/torque gains with a supercharger. if you get what's called the "pi swap" you'd net a lot more gains when supercharging
Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

the PI swap is a good idea, you get much better flow from the heads/cams/intake, and it will really open up some extra power from that supercharger. just make sure your compression ratio after the PI swap is safe with boost, maybe someone else could help out with that cause i'm not sure what the compression ratio would be on your car with the PI heads (it will be higher than it is now because of the smaller combustion chamber).
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

the PI swap is a good idea, you get much better flow from the heads/cams/intake, and it will really open up some extra power from that supercharger. just make sure your compression ratio after the PI swap is safe with boost, maybe someone else could help out with that cause i'm not sure what the compression ratio would be on your car with the PI heads (it will be higher than it is now because of the smaller combustion chamber).
The PI swap will put him at 10.5:1 which is ok but not great for a blower, been through this myself. If you go this route you'll have to consider some kind of intercooling (or 100+ octane=EXPENSIVE)even with 8psi, otherwise you'll not be able to run much timing which makes it pointless to do the blower setup in the first place! Other option would be to swap out the NPI intake with a PI intake and add Pi cams to your PI heads!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 AM
N2O98gt
2nd Gear Member

im sur ehe means NPI heads with PI intake manifold and PI cams( get blower cams if you are planning on a blower, the company usually labels them blower cams for you)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

NPI heads actually flow almost the same as PI heads- infact stock NPI heads outflow PI heads on the top end.

The major difference is that NPI heads cannot support above a (I believe) .5 inch lift, which is a huge disadvantage for aftermarket cams. However, you can run PI cams and PI Intake with NPI heads, fix the crappy powerband situation, retain your good compression ratio, and have about 80% of the power gained from a PI swap. Plus, with this, a blower+ bolt ons will tap out the stock internals, so you will be fine.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zanador

NPI heads actually flow almost the same as PI heads- infact stock NPI heads outflow PI heads on the top end.

The major difference is that NPI heads cannot support above a (I believe) .5 inch lift, which is a huge disadvantage for aftermarket cams. However, you can run PI cams and PI Intake with NPI heads, fix the crappy powerband situation, retain your good compression ratio, and have about 80% of the power gained from a PI swap. Plus, with this, a blower+ bolt ons will tap out the stock internals, so you will be fine.
it's true that the NPI heads outflow PI heads at the top end, but not until after .500" lift (intake)... and the exhaust port doesn't outflow the PI heads at ANY valve lift. (i'm looking at flow-bench testing by SHM)

but you're right, if he doesn't have the cash to do a PI swap AND a blower, then some PI cams/intake along with blower and bolt-ons would be a good bang for the buck
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02 Ninja

Your fine with your stock heads & cams. Get a procharger and call it a day. Oh yeah, make sure you get your car tuned when you get blown and you'll be fine.
+1 If you are going to buy a supercharger, do not spend the money for a PI swap. Supercharger prefer lower compression ratios. A supercharger will overcome any shortfall that your heads may have by forcing them to breathe (forced induction). You will not need supercharger cams unless you change out the crank, rods, and pistons. A supercharger, such as the Procharger, can already take the motor past what stock internals can handle without changing the cams.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
xmikevankuikenx
2nd Gear Member

At least get the PI intake if you're going to supercharge. If you put a 8lb supercharger on a stock 96-98 car, you'll get less than 300hp. In fact, putting on a Vortech will only get you 290/345 AT THE CRANK. If you want power you're going to have toturn the boost WAY up, get new heads, or port yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharger in the future