4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

She's Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:34 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: She's Overheating

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

The fan actually has 2 speeds. It's possible that it's just not swithching to high. This also could be a problem with your t stat. If that this is stuck closed, these problems could happen.
Okay. I was wondering if the fan was variable speed. It's the only thing I could think of. The fan works in the sense that it spins but it doesn't spin as fast as I know it can/should. Is there a way for me to fix this without buying a new fan motor?

Also, what if any visual clue would my thermostat give me to indicate that it needs to be replaced? I'll pull it in a bit when the car cools down and inspect it. It is a 180* SLP thermo. Should I go 160* if the thermo is indeed the problem?
I guess I'm not sure on the fan. When I had my car tuned I had my tuner lower the temps at which the 2 speeds would turn on.

If you're running hot and it's not the thermostat, then going to a 160 is like using a band-aid. If that's not the problem it may mask it but the other problem will still be there. If it is the thermostat then just buying a new 180 would take care of the problem.

One thing you could do to check to see if the thermostat is opening is start the car when it's cold. Pull the upper radiator hose off of the radiator (there shouldn't be any coolant coming out at this time, other then a little bit that could be in the hose) and let the car warm up. You may have to hold a slight rev to speed up the process. If the thermostat opens eventually you'll have a bunch of coolant shoot out of the upper radiator hose.
LMAO. I can see my property manager pulling up in his golfcart as my car sprays coolant all over the place. So, is there no way to visually inspect the thermostat for problems? I'll pull it out, take a look and then run the car once I replace it to check the upper hose for increased flow/pressure. I should be able to detect that without unhooking the hose and making a mess, right?
Yeah you could do that too. The hose should be kinda squshy until the t stat opens then it should be firm and you should be able to feel the pressure of the fluid. Like you said though, that hose gets hot so don't melt your hand to it.[8D]
Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

The fan actually has 2 speeds. It's possible that it's just not swithching to high. This also could be a problem with your t stat. If that this is stuck closed, these problems could happen.
Okay. I was wondering if the fan was variable speed. It's the only thing I could think of. The fan works in the sense that it spins but it doesn't spin as fast as I know it can/should. Is there a way for me to fix this without buying a new fan motor?

Also, what if any visual clue would my thermostat give me to indicate that it needs to be replaced? I'll pull it in a bit when the car cools down and inspect it. It is a 180* SLP thermo. Should I go 160* if the thermo is indeed the problem?
I guess I'm not sure on the fan. When I had my car tuned I had my tuner lower the temps at which the 2 speeds would turn on.

If you're running hot and it's not the thermostat, then going to a 160 is like using a band-aid. If that's not the problem it may mask it but the other problem will still be there. If it is the thermostat then just buying a new 180 would take care of the problem.

One thing you could do to check to see if the thermostat is opening is start the car when it's cold. Pull the upper radiator hose off of the radiator (there shouldn't be any coolant coming out at this time, other then a little bit that could be in the hose) and let the car warm up. You may have to hold a slight rev to speed up the process. If the thermostat opens eventually you'll have a bunch of coolant shoot out of the upper radiator hose.
LMAO. I can see my property manager pulling up in his golfcart as my car sprays coolant all over the place. So, is there no way to visually inspect the thermostat for problems? I'll pull it out, take a look and then run the car once I replace it to check the upper hose for increased flow/pressure. I should be able to detect that without unhooking the hose and making a mess, right?
Yeah you could do that too. The hose should be kinda squshy until the t stat opens then it should be firm and you should be able to feel the pressure of the fluid. Like you said though, that hose gets hot so don't melt your hand to it.[8D]
I can wear a glove. Should only take a second to checkfor apressure change. So, if I get pressure, then its presumably not a T-Stat problem but a fan problem correct?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Oh God! This just screams "Stupid Idea"!!! Save your face and buy one of those laser pointer thermometer and check it that way. When the hot coolant inters the top hose, you should see a dramatic increase in temp. You could also see if the water pump is working too by using one of these and aiming at the bottom hose. (it should be cooler than the top hose!) If you want to test the thermostat stick it in a pot of boiling water and you will definitely see it open.

I can wear a glove. Should only take a second to checkfor apressure change. So, if I get pressure, then its presumably not a T-Stat problem but a fan problem correct?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure it screams stupid. You know people had to test things before all of these electrical devices were invented.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:43 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

The eaiest way to test the thermostat is to pull it out, and to put it in boilg water. If it opens at the right temp, it is good.

I would start at the water pump. It is pretty cheap, and may not be a bad idea to replace depending on the miles.

If that did not work, I would look at the fan. If it is kicking on, I would say it is good. Unless you are driving in some serious heat, if it kicks on, no matter if its high or low speed, it should cool it down.

You should also check the temp sensor. Could be that the sensor is bad, giving you a false overheating condition. Most likely not, but something you may want to check out.

If it still is over heating, I would say its the radiator. I have seent his before where the car over heated after changing everything but the radiator, and that ended up being the issue.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

The part that I was saying was a "stupid idea" and one of the dumbest thingsI have heard, was taking the top hose off the radiator and waiting to see if the thermostat would open when the car heats up. Do you know how much hot hot fluid is going to come rushing out when/if that thermostat opens?

If someone plans on doing this, please video record it so we can laugh at you later. Cover up any Ford related items so you don't cause any more harm/shame to the ford name too.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stangatic

The part that I was saying was a "stupid idea" and one of the dumbest thingsI have heard, was taking the top hose off the radiator and waiting to see if the thermostat would open when the car heats up. Do you know how much hot hot fluid is going to come rushing out when/if that thermostat opens?

If someone plans on doing this, please video record it so we can laugh at you later. Cover up any Ford related items so you don't cause any more harm/shame to the ford name too.
I told him to take it off of the radiator, not the thermostat housing. You can aim the hose at the ground, so I guess if you're looking to make an America's funniest video you'll have to come up with a new idea.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

I let it sit and run for about 15 minutes or so. It got well above normal operating temperature. I felt the radiator hose heat up and the pressure rise. I kept a watch on the fan and it did nothing this time. I reached in and spun it with y hands and then it kicked on. It put out almost no air at all. I could hardly even feel the air moving without nearly touching the fan itself. So, I guess I need a new fan motor?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 PM
cobra4579
1st Gear Member

My 97 GT is overheating. I know what the problem is, but I have no clue what is causing it.

She has all of her fluids, no leaks.
The fan runs, but not at full speed.

Here's what happens. When I'm moving fast enough to get soe air running through th readiator the car runs just fine. But when I come to a standstill at a stoplight or whatever it heats up fairly quickly. 4-5 redlights in Orlando traffic and the needle is hitting the "L" in "NORMAL" on the temp guage. Normal operating temp is between the "N" and "O".

I pulled the car over and did a quick inspection when I first noticed the problem last Friday. No coolant leaks, the fan was running, etc. I let it cool off over night and check the radiator, full.

The next day I check it again once I return home from my short drive to work (4 miles). It didn't have time to get any warmer than normal so I let it sit and run in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Within 10 minutes the temp had gone from between the "N" and "O" to hitting the "A". (NORMAL). I pop the hood and notice the fan is running but its so quite/slow that I can't hear it over the exhaust at an idle like I normally can.

Why is my fan not spinning at full speed? The car has a 180* STP thermostat. The fan spins so it isn't obstructed. What is the problem here? Bad fan motor?
My car overheated one time this last summer. I replaced the water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, and it turns out it was a bad radiator cap. So make sure your cap doesnt have a consent hiss sound to it. I have no idea why your fan isnt running full speed.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stangatic

I told him to take it off of the radiator, not the thermostat housing. You can aim the hose at the ground, so I guess if you're looking to make an America's funniest video you'll have to come up with a new idea.
That's whatI was talking about. You try aiming and controlling a hose with 160+ temp coolant gushing out. I hope he has a 5 gallon bucket nearby and hospital for the 3rd degree burns.

Quick Reply: She's Overheating