4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BBK pulleys =fugged?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default BBK pulleys =fugged?

I have BBK underdrive pulleys[:'(]on my car because it was way back when I first got my car and I did stupid mods not researching it first or I would have got the steedas. I didn't have the pulley puller so I decided to just get them installed somewhere.Iwas looking at it todaysince I'm doing a timing adjuster soon and noticed they never piggybacked the balancer and the new pulley. I'm gonna sound like an idiot right now but I don't know what was there in the first place (stock), was there apulley and the balancer or just the balancer? When they were all done they gave me the box and it had the alt, water pump, and what I guess is the balancer pulley. If they did it right shouldn't I have only got the alt., and water pump pulley back?

As it looks right now there is just a bbk pulley and it is flush up against the block with nothing behind or in front of it. This is wrong right? Here is the scary part, it has been like this for 16,000 miles. Can someone explain this to me? Sorry for sounded like a nOOb[&:]
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
koumiss45
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BBK pulleys =fugged?

Pretty sure our motors are internally balenced, no harmonic balencer.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Yeah I thought they were internally balanced to but I keep hearing about this harmonic balancer that needs to be on the car unless you get different pulleys like the steedas. From what I understand the steeda crank pulley is balanced so there is no need for the stock balancer. here is BBK's instructions, notice the picture.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/instal...BBKins_053.pdf
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
2002silvergt
1st Gear Member

ive got a set of steeda underdrive pulleys that ive only had on for about a month...i just bought a supercharger and cannot run them anymore...i could let you have them for cheap...theyre in excellent cond....shoot me an offer and ill let u know...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Our engines do have an external harmonic balancer, just look at the crank pulley and you can easily see that it also incorporates a rather hefty rubber mounted dampening ring.[/align]
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 AM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002silvergt

ive got a set of steeda underdrive pulleys that ive only had on for about a month...i just bought a supercharger and cannot run them anymore...i could let you have them for cheap...theyre in excellent cond....shoot me an offer and ill let u know...
[/align][/align]do they make any kinda difference?[/align]
Old 01-31-2008, 11:21 AM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

i have bbk and they are piggy backs, so you need to have the harmonic blancer in front of the bbk underdrive crankpully.

p.s. yes they do suck, never buy piggy backs. i am going to fix my problem by buying this.....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

that is really weird that my car has been running without it for over a year and a half. I'm going to go to the shop that did it and just see if they will put the stock ones back on at no charge because they installed itwrong. I need them on anyways for my timing adjuster. could I have any damage to my engine over that time period because the balancer was off?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

its just one of those thing........maybe you did - maybe you didn't,
Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Depends on how hard you've run it. The harder you push the engine the more dynamic load on the crankshaft and the more important harmonic balancing becomes...

Quick Reply: BBK pulleys =fugged?