4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP! SALEEN SUPERCHARGER 4.6 2v

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
nova0002@hotmail.com
I ♥ Acer

Default HELP! SALEEN SUPERCHARGER 4.6 2v

I am about to buy a supercharger for my 01 gt. I found it used and this guy says its a Eaton M90 that came from a Saleen S-281....so its a series 2 blower. He is selling the blower only. here is the description he e-mailed me;

EATON M90 Centrifugal Supercharger. Can Provide up to 14 psi. boost with the right pulley. This is the same unit that comes standard on the SALEEN S-281 and will work on a 1999-2002 Mustang GT. This incredible unit is good for up to 500 BHP. Great do it yourself project. Comes without oil and torque specs listed. If you have a Mustang GT this is the thing for you. New, never used, SALEEN SERIES II, works on 4.6L 2-valve SOHC engines. It is the compressor only! You can find the other saleen parts for cheap!

My questions are how do I know if its a fully working unit, can I tell just by looking at it, what parts would I need on top of the blower to install, how much would just the parts cost? How much would the install cost, Im not going to do it my self.

[IMG]local://upfiles/83062/1E9223D560B74DF7A8F06DAA42A29336.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2008, 04:53 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! SALEEN SUPERCHARGER 4.6 2v

The only way to know if it is in working condition is to go by his description, he says it's brand new, so...

The only other major part you're going to need is a Saleen intake manifold... It's safe to assume that saleen had an intercooler with these blowers, so you'll need that, intercooler reservoir, intercooler pump, heat exchanger... That's it for the big things...

You'll be looking at around $2000 for this stuff, just as my estimate.

Possibly:
Fuel injectors and fuel pump -$400+ here too

I'm bad at estimating labor costs, but I'd GUESSat least $800 for the install labor alone. Saleen will be happy to sell you the parts you need to get that thing working on your GT, but you're going to spend much much more on everything else you're going to need, then you're going to get raped on labor. The Series 2 isn't worth that much! Saleen had Series 4 blowers (MUCH better, but still an awful supercharger) on sale for pretty much dirt cheap a little while ago, intercooled and all... People still had a hard time deciding if it was worth it. The series 4 can only take you to 420 rwhp before it just becomes a money hole... The series 2 will be much less than that, you'll probably never see 500hp with it sitting on the engine unless you're running nitrous through it.

Don't do it, you'll be spending as much as an intercooled KB for a fraction of the power...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I personally would not waste my time with this blower. The s/c is a horrible design and for the cost to install something like this you could have a used centrifigul s/c for the same price. Or like ShadowDrake said if you're interested in a postive displacment blower you could look into a KB for this kind of money.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I personally would not waste my time with this blower. The s/c is a horrible design and for the cost to install something like this you could have a used centrifigul s/c for the same price. Or like ShadowDrake said if you're interested in a postive displacment blower you could look into a KB for this kind of money.
Ageed! Put it on ebay!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Here'm my advice. Turn and run from this paperweight. I bought(wasted my money) on a Series IV
Which is a definate upgradefrom what you're looking at. Put a smaller pulley,as well as a smaller crank pulley on my car.
And the most boost I can get is 12psi. So the 14 he's talking about must have a pulley about the size of a quarter.
Saleen BLOWS... But not the way you'd like it to. Save yourself the humiliation, and buy a REAL Blower. I'd
sell you mine. But I'd have to weigh it first.

[/align]
Old 01-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Fobra
Banned

Yeah even with a port job 400 is gonna be tuff, its a good setup if you get it for dirt cheap or free, but as far as putting alot into it, its not worth it
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

I talked withBob Steigemeier about porting my Saleen. It
would yield at best another 10-12 hp. I wake up every morning
asking myself. Why did I buy the Saleen ? Why?What a joke.

[/align]
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

I talked withBob Steigemeier about porting my Saleen. It
would yield at best another 10-12 hp. I wake up every morning
asking myself. Why did I buy the Saleen ? Why?What a joke.
Dude, lose the Diablo stuff and replace with SCT, get a 90 mm MAF and see how your car does.I've seenmany folks with Series IV's with your mods easily make over 350 rwhp. There has to be something wrong with your setup. I think you meant "bigger" crank pulley as well in your post above .

To the OP....I agree with everyone else's advice. If you have the option to start with a better platform than the Series II, do it. Otherwise, saving up for a different supercharger makes sense.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
xmikevankuikenx
2nd Gear Member

Ummm, you're not even making 300rwhp with the Saleen blower at 12psi? Something seems seriously wrong here. Are the blowers THAT crappy?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

I stand corrected. Yes, I should have said a larger crank pulley. And yes 294RWHP[/align]on a Mustang Dyno. The tuner is the best there is around where I live. I have[/align]had my system gone over several times. And this is the best I can get. Pathetic ![/align]This is only one mans opinion. But yes, they are a waste of money.[/align]

Quick Reply: HELP! SALEEN SUPERCHARGER 4.6 2v