4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which supercharger?

People can argue day in and out on which is actually better at lubricating the blower, but in the end they both do their jobs just fine. A self contained unit is an easier install, less evasive install, and is way easier to reverse the process if you decide to remove/sell the blower. Like stated before, if you don't have to drill, then why do it.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

People can argue day in and out on which is actually better at lubricating the blower, but in the end they both do their jobs just fine. A self contained unit is an easier install, less evasive install, and is way easier to reverse the process if you decide to remove/sell the blower. Like stated before, if you don't have to drill, then why do it.
There are a couple reasons why I prefer the tapped oil pan and oil lines. As tbirdscwd said above, its really all about what your prefrence is, and what is best for you. to me it just makes more sense considering with the self contained units there isn't any method of filtering the oil that is used, so really it doesn't seem like the best Idea to just use the same oil. With the oil being fed from the oil pan, I would think it stays cooler because of the circulation.

While the self contained unit might save you a couple of hours on install, remember that you have to take the whole unit off of the bracket to change the oil (at least thats the way that procharger people explained it to me) so while it might save you a couple hours on install, each time you change the oil (every 5,000miles) you have to take another hour or so to do it. I personally like the idea of changing the supercharger oil every time I change the engine oil. and lastly, I haven't seen any heavy duty racers, especially feature cars, using the self contained units. Most of the guys that are featured in magazines and what not use the oil fed blowers, so maybe they know something we don't
Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Changing the oil in the headunit can be a PITA, and there isn't more than an extra 20 minutes of install time tapping the pan.

everyone that has not done it brings up tapping the pan like its a huge deal... it is not. so far as removing the unit to sell... its easy to fix. You simply put a pipe plug in where the hose connects to.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I will say its almost all about personal preference. I like that my engine oil is seperate from my SC oil. Thats just me. It takes a total of 10 minutes to take my procharger off, so I don't mind doing it every 5-6 thousand miles. As far as high HP applications and featured car not having self oiled blowers. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Think of every KB, Procharger, Whipple, and Eaton you've ever seen in a magazine. You might not see a lot of self contained centris, because the only company (until the recent release of Paxtons new design) Procharger is the only company that offers self oiling. I have seen plenty of P-1 and D-1 making gobs of power and have seen them in many Mags. What about the Livernois 700rwhp 3v on a procharger F-1 thats been featured like 20 f-in times.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Yeah but whats wrong with running the same oil in a supercharger... its just a gearbox floating in the breeze.The roots blowers are self contained as well. I would say there isnt a cooling issue... the supercharger is isolated from the big heat sources under hood. It probably sees less the 300F. Also there isn't exhaust or gasoline blow-by to blow into the oil, so it doesnt become contaminated like engine oil does.

If i was installing a Vortech on my own car, I would probably take my chances with plugging the oil lines and just running clean synthetic engine oil... probably. Drillin the oil pan seems unnecessary. You could fix it to sell, but why.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ottos

Yeah but whats wrong with running the same oil in a supercharger... its just a gearbox floating in the breeze.The roots blowers are self contained as well. I would say there isnt a cooling issue... the supercharger is isolated from the big heat sources under hood. It probably sees less the 300F. Also there isn't exhaust or gasoline blow-by to blow into the oil, so it doesnt become contaminated like engine oil does.

If i was installing a Vortech on my own car, I would probably take my chances with plugging the oil lines and just running clean synthetic engine oil... probably. Drillin the oil pan seems unnecessary. You could fix it to sell, but why.
Blowers usually see about 8-10* Farenheit per pound of boost in a twin screw aplication, while they are in boost. For them, its alot harder to stay out of boost, but for centri cars, its quite simple to keep the engine nice and cool because it doesn't constantly see boost.

As far as the engine oil contaminateing the supercharger oil, I know that my oil feed line comes from the oil filter housing, so it gets filtered before it goes up to the blower. Either way, it all boils down to personal preference, and I will say that I am super lazy, so thats why I don't want to be taking the blower off and putting it back on every 5-6 thousand miles. I have had my blower on my car for 41,000 miles and its making just as much horsepower now as it was two years ago when it was put on.

I don't know enough about the self containted units to comment on their reliability, I'll just say that mine has lasted for41,000 miles and is still performing like the day it was put on, in my opinion, thats pretty reliable. If you guys say that the procharger's and all the other self contained units are just as reliable, Ill take your word for it. again, its all what you want from the car.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Im **** about keeping stock parts. So you're right, its preference. I probably wouldnt change centri supercharger oil that often for my application. I'd just check and see if its still clean. I wonder how much stress a little two-gear gearbox really endures. It would have to be designed pretty crappy to fail in this application.

Good discussion anyways.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ottos

If you "took your chances" and just plugged the lines and then filled the unit, it would last about 10 seconds under boost before going boom. It does not have a oil storage area or a design that will pump oil. The vortech units are fed oil directly from a already present point on the filter assembly, after the oil has been thru the engine filter. Idunno about any else's engine, but when I pull my oil every 2500-3000 miles, my synthetic looks like it did when I installed it. If your getting major contamination and discolration, espcially in the synthetic, you have engine problems.

Engine oil is not getting to 300 degrees.. at least it better not be. I have no real evidence, but I would have to say that the supercharger is every bit as hot after a run as the engine oil would be... compressing air makes alot of heat.

I like the idea of a non self contained unit. Much more oil to circulate, and its getting filtered so if there is dirt in there somehow its getting filtered out with the rest of the engine oil. Not only that, but since you have a oil pan with a resivour the oil has time to cool between each cycle it goes thru.

You don't "drill" the pan btw... you use a punch and then tap a large surface area. The vortech units already come with a fitting, acutally a small reducer, that goes into the threads you make in the pan. it would take about 5 minutes to remove the vortech oil return and then put a pipe plug in it.

As much as procharger wants to make everyone believe the reason for self contained units was that they are better, it is not. The reason they were invented was for difficult to install/tight engine compartment applications where routing a oil return line would be a major PITA. This is why you see so many strange applications running prochargers, stuff like the small block dakotas etc.

EDIT: Havinga self contained/non contained unit never really entered into my thoughts when choosing a blower. i can say that if I had intended to NEVER rebuild the shortblock I would have gone with a PS1C setup (that and if MPH offered one) simply because it comes with the intercooler etc already, and that blower/cooler is more than enough to out power the stock shortblock if you want (but not really enough when you go to rebuilding).
Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

If you "took your chances" and just plugged the lines and then filled the unit, it would last about 10 seconds under boost before going boom. It does not have a oil storage area or a design that will pump oil. The vortech units are fed oil directly from a already present point on the filter assembly, after the oil has been thru the engine filter. Idunno about any else's engine, but when I pull my oil every 2500-3000 miles, my synthetic looks like it did when I installed it. If your getting major contamination and discolration, espcially in the synthetic, you have engine problems.

Engine oil is not getting to 300 degrees.. at least it better not be. I have no real evidence, but I would have to say that the supercharger is every bit as hot after a run as the engine oil would be... compressing air makes alot of heat.

I like the idea of a non self contained unit. Much more oil to circulate, and its getting filtered so if there is dirt in there somehow its getting filtered out with the rest of the engine oil. Not only that, but since you have a oil pan with a resivour the oil has time to cool between each cycle it goes thru.

You don't "drill" the pan btw... you use a punch and then tap a large surface area. The vortech units already come with a fitting, acutally a small reducer, that goes into the threads you make in the pan. it would take about 5 minutes to remove the vortech oil return and then put a pipe plug in it.

As much as procharger wants to make everyone believe the reason for self contained units was that they are better, it is not. The reason they were invented was for difficult to install/tight engine compartment applications where routing a oil return line would be a major PITA. This is why you see so many strange applications running prochargers, stuff like the small block dakotas etc.

EDIT: Havinga self contained/non contained unit never really entered into my thoughts when choosing a blower. i can say that if I had intended to NEVER rebuild the shortblock I would have gone with a PS1C setup (that and if MPH offered one) simply because it comes with the intercooler etc already, and that blower/cooler is more than enough to out power the stock shortblock if you want (but not really enough when you go to rebuilding).
It would be an experiment thats the point, to see if it will last more or less than 10 seconds. I'm thinking it would do a little better than that. Fill it up so the gears are submerged in oil. If i find a cheap Vortech setup, then I'll be trying it.

Engine oil will get contaminated and discolored eventually, but yes if you are changing it at 3k you wont see much of a color change. There is normal blow-by gases from each cylinder which is absorbed by the oil, turning it brown. Doesn't mean there is an issue with the motor.

Compressing air to 15 psi doesnt really generate a lot of heat by comparison. Maybe 170F or something. My bicycle pump probably gets hotter pumping 65 psi. My point is that a centri is more isolated from the engine so it stays cool. Why use an external source of oil? Just fill 'er up with Mobil 1 and go.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

and that blower/cooler is more than enough to out power the stock shortblock if you want (but not really enough when you go to rebuilding).
Does anyone on here have a built motor pushing some serious pressure on a procharger? I always found that notion weird. If you look at the stats, the P-1sc has the same flow ratings as a t-trim and a D-1 bests them both by 200cfm. They both can push more PSI and have higher Max impeller speeds, whats the deal?

Quick Reply: Which supercharger?