4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Belt keeps breaking????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Belt keeps breaking????

I've got a 96 GT with a Procharger making about 12 lbs of boost on stock engine with about every bolt on. I put the s/c on in the end of May and had it tuned in the start of June with no problems. When September came around the problems sarted. A seal finally went out on my powrsteering pump while driving and blew P.S. fluid all around the insde of the engine compartment. It got all inside the alternator (which started making bad squealing noises) so I replaced that with a new one. Also the idler and tensioner pullies were squeaking so i replaced the pullies. After awhile the belt starting ripping at high rpms (like racing and donuts). I had been to the drag strip two different times before the p.s. pump problem and never lost a belt or had any problem. My car goes for a couple weeks with no problems, i can punch i and race and what not but if it gets in the high rpms (about after 6000) my belt begins to tear. Also I have checked every pulley to make sure they are in line with another. I have already gone through 6-7 belts. My belt begin to do it again last night after doing a donut with some friends. i was able to drive it home with no problems. Opened the hood today to look at it and it is forward by two ribs (on a 6 rib pulley the belt came toward the front of the car and over the pullies lip by two of the ribs). I turned the car on and pulled the throttle cable so i could watch the tentioner and when i gave a little pull, the tentioner pulled almost to the same point when i pull on the tentioner to put on a new belt.

My only thought that could be wrong now is the to change out the whole tentioner itself. Any help from someone who has had this poblem or knows about this please help!!! Thanks

P.S. sorry for the long post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Belt keeps breaking????

Why are you revving over 6k anyways? The stock heads and cams cannot flow enough for that kind of rpms. I know there is a problem with later water pump pullies that have a lip on the outer edge. But 96's are good. Check to make sure your water pump pulley is flat and doesn't have a lip on the outer edge. Other than that, I would make sure your tensioner pulley isn't over stretched causing the tension super tight. Maybe the belt is too tight and you can try 1/2" bigger belt? Ayways, just throwing some ideas from what i have read
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

as far as the 6000rpms its only a couple time that i've done that due to an intense race or doing a donut and not paying attention ( i already know -"stupid ***" -so dont need to hear it).
As far as Water Pump - i guess i didnt explain fully. The belt goes over the pullies with a lip on them and as for the W.P. pulley, it slides to the edge. it is the one with no lip.
As for the belt, i have thought about that two. The weird thing is the belt that came with the procharger didnt come close enough to fitting properley (everything was installed exactly like manual said). The procharger belt was supposed to be a Gates 61115 (meaning 6 rib 111 1/2inches) and the one i have that fits is a 113. I have thought before that it is tight trying to get it on, even with the tentioner fully losened. does have a belt to tight really cause this kind of problem? Could someone explain how this kind of thing works? What size belt should i try because i know if its to loose it will slip - 113.5 or 114?
Also what about the tentioner being bad since it is over twelve years old?
thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 02:55 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

lol well im sure doing doughnuts all the time is part of your problem but seriously...you should check into upgrading to a 8 rib pulley system if you continue to have that problem. It will provide more footprint for the belt therefore a reduce chance of slippage, if not then you might have a bad tensioner. I dont think your tensioner should flex that much, if it is chances are your belt is slipping
Old 02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you found your problem. Just change the tensioner bro.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

the tentioner is what i've been thinkin as well as a belt with about a 1/2 inch added to it cause its hard to get theone i have been using, on.
about the donuts - i only do them every once in a blue moon just to show off the power to a friend. the last time i did one was about two-three moths ago.
abouth the 8-rib system. i've been thinking about that for awhile but never really looked them up to see prices. I will look them up but just to save time, does anyone know a site that sell them.

If anyone else has any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions please give them. thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

i know kenne bell sells a set for like 200 and it comes with a tensioner. Only a few pulleys gotta be changed
Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

The only thing that can cause a belt to break is burning/slippage or being just too tight. It seems you are just too tight! you can take a wrench to your tensioner and see if it has pressure on it. If there's no pressure, it could be worn out from being over extended from a super tight belt. How do the belts look when you break them? Do they look good, just shredded and broken or are they really glazed? All of the ribs need to be glazed before you say the belt is too loose because the belt can break 2 ribs off from being too tight and then start slipping because 4 ribs aren't enough. I would diagnose the problem by looking at your broken belts. Maybe take a pic if you are unsure so i can see.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

The only thing that can cause a belt to break is burning/slippage or being just too tight. It seems you are just too tight! you can take a wrench to your tensioner and see if it has pressure on it. If there's no pressure, it could be worn out from being over extended from a super tight belt. How do the belts look when you break them? Do they look good, just shredded and broken or are they really glazed? All of the ribs need to be glazed before you say the belt is too loose because the belt can break 2 ribs off from being too tight and then start slipping because 4 ribs aren't enough. I would diagnose the problem by looking at your broken belts. Maybe take a pic if you are unsure so i can see.
... or if it keeps jumping around on the pulleys... that tends to be hard on belts.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:32 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

If i catch them before they totally shred, its seems like it starts as the first (closest to front of car) rips off, then the next then the whole thing shred apart all over. I think the belt is just to tight. I do have another fact after starting the car today and watching to see if it might rip. when i reved the engine i watched the tentioner and it was pulled down alot. Can anyone do the same to ther car and let me know if theres does the same. I am gonna try a longer belt and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Belt keeps breaking????