4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension still rattling after overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension still rattling after overhaul

Ok,

So I wanted to restore the ride quality in my 02 GT vert with 96k miles...

I have so far:
- replaced shocks and struts
- new ball joints
- replaced outer tie rod ends
- new rotors and brake job front and rear

My suspension still has a little bit of rattle when turning far to the left or right at low speeds.

Am I missing any other obvious ideas for a suspension overhaul????

I know I'm probably going to get slammed with bushing upgrade.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension still rattling after overhaul

bump
Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

You've done all that but haven't replaced the bushings on a car with 100K?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
kamelyn
1st Gear Member

next stop .... hub assembly..... after you make sure that the springs are correctly in their seat.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default UPDATE: Suspension still rattling after overhaul

Update: I just replaced my steering rack bushings with urethane from Energy Suspension. I replaced the gear tube brackets per Ford's TSB 05-14-3 and this website http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=rak

So I STILL have the dreaded "creak" when turning at low parking lot speeds. I particularly have this creek when turning sharply and backing up. Any Ideas?

So far I have replaced:

Shocks
Struts
Ball Joints
Outer Tie Rod Ends
Steering Rack Bushings
Steering Gear Tube Brackets

Maybe this problem lies in the inner tie rods? Sway bar issues?

I would love to get some feedback from more experienced suspension guys.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: UPDATE: Suspension still rattling after overhaul

is the noise from the front or back? If it's from the back does the creaking noise also happen when backing out of a driveway at an angle (as the car twist)? If that's the case I'd look into a cracked torque box.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

The noise is from the front end. Yes, this occurs when backing out of the driveway but also occurs when going forward and turning sharply, such as in a parking lot. There is no noise at high speeds.

I have been reading some more and some have suggested it could be the Strut Bearings. Have any of you experienced this creak... I'm sure many have.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racemyski

The noise is from the front end. Yes, this occurs when backing out of the driveway but also occurs when going forward and turning sharply, such as in a parking lot. There is no noise at high speeds.

I have been reading some more and some have suggested it could be the Strut Bearings. Have any of you experienced this creak... I'm sure many have.
no, I have a bunch of noise but not that one.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Strut bearings??? Never heard of such an animal on our cars. The only bearing I know about as mentioned earlier is the hub bearing, which is very possible as the problem. I replaced my struts recently and seen nothing of the kind as far as bearings go. To check the hub bearing, jack up the car, remove front wheels, grab the rotor on the top and bottom try to shake it back and forth and see if it has any movement in it, if it does bingo, if not, don't mean it's not bad but would let you know if they areto that point. IMO I'd bechasing the hub bearing though, there inexpensive and easy to change.

And since you asked, the sway bar don't do much while turning, but, if bushings are bad, or it has become loose, there would be a noise when going over any bumps, slight dips, anything that would make the cars suspension flex up and down. I know it recently happened to me and drove me nuts, til I figured it out.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

Strut bearings??? Never heard of such an animal on our cars. The only bearing I know about as mentioned earlier is the hub bearing, which is very possible as the problem. I replaced my struts recently and seen nothing of the kind as far as bearings go. To check the hub bearing, jack up the car, remove front wheels, grab the rotor on the top and bottom try to shake it back and forth and see if it has any movement in it, if it does bingo, if not, don't mean it's not bad but would let you know if they areto that point. IMO I'd bechasing the hub bearing though, there inexpensive and easy to change.

And since you asked, the sway bar don't do much while turning, but, if bushings are bad, or it has become loose, there would be a noise when going over any bumps, slight dips, anything that would make the cars suspension flex up and down. I know it recently happened to me and drove me nuts, til I figured it out.
A good way to test the sway bar is to run over one of those speed bumps with ONLY ONE front wheel.
This simulates the car leaning and puts stress on the bar.

Turning into a driveway with a lip or small curb is another way.
Let one wheel hit at a time and listen.

Quick Reply: Suspension still rattling after overhaul