MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   What headers??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/4044-what-headers.html)

droptopGT 10-08-2003 02:16 AM

What headers???

Just wondering who makes some good headers for a 01 GT???</P>

My current mods are a BBK off-road X-pipe and a Mac cat back exhaust... My car is lowered about 2 inches so I don't think long tube headers will work for me, so I've heard. Also what are the differences between shorty and equal lenth shorty headers other than what sounds to be the obvious?</P>

dro&#112;topGT 10-08-2003 11:29 AM

What headers???

Can anyone recommend anything????

mdvaldosta 10-08-2003 02:16 PM

What headers???

If I were you I would forget about headers unless you were going with longtubes. You *might* be able to get unequal length headers in without dropping the k-member, but either way, its not worth the money and time to install shorties on a newer mustang. Spend that money on a set of gears instead, thats my suggestion. Either way good luck with whatever you choose.

dro&#112;topGT 10-08-2003 03:41 PM

What headers???

Originally Posted by mdvaldosta
If I were you I would forget about headers unless you were going with longtubes. You *might* be able to get unequal length headers in without dropping the k-member, but either way, its not worth the money and time to install shorties on a newer mustang. Spend that money on a set of gears instead, thats my suggestion. Either way good luck with whatever you choose.

</P>

Well the reason why I need the headers is because I have a leak at the exhaust manifold where it meets the x-pipe. I'v taken it bacvk to the place 2 times and they took it off put some sealing goop and tightend it up twice and it just isn't sealing right. They said that if it happens again which it did If I get headers it should fix the problem...</P>

USAMuscle 10-08-2003 06:43 PM

What headers???

Like the doc said, don't even bother with shortie headers. You seriously won't gain much, if anything at all. You MIGHT gain 5 HP, and that's even being optimistic. If you want to replace your exhaust manifolds, definitely go with long-tubes, even if it means having to lose an inch or so on your drop. I would consider that a good tradeoff. A set of long-tubes will free up about 15-17 HP to the wheels, and you will definitely notice that. If money is no object, get a set of BBK headers. Otherwise, check out MAC or Dynomax. MAC headers come with a crappy coating on them, and it will start to peel before long at all, but if you don't care how they look under your hood it's no big deal.</P><edited><editID>USAMuscle</editID><editDate>37902.6976967593</editDate></edited>

dro&#112;topGT 10-08-2003 08:35 PM

What headers???

Originally Posted by USAMuscle

Like the doc said, don't even bother with shortie headers. You seriously won't gain much, if anything at all. You MIGHT gain 5 HP, and that's even being optimistic. If you want to replace your exhaust manifolds, definitely go with long-tubes, even if it means having to lose an inch or so on your drop. I would consider that a good tradeoff. A set of long-tubes will free up about 15-17 HP to the wheels, and you will definitely notice that. If money is no object, get a set of BBK headers. Otherwise, check out MAC or Dynomax. MAC headers come with a crappy coating on them, and it will start to peel before long at all, but if you don't care how they look under your hood it's no big deal.</P>

</P>

Well than money wise I'm gonna spend more since I just boufght the eibachs 1 week ago and had the put on. I'm not gonna spend another $200 on springs and another $120 on the install and another $45 for the allignment. I just want to get rid of the awful exhaust leak I have. At this point I'm losing power anyways with this leak. I just want to make the leak go away. If I can get rid of the leak without having to buy headers I'll keep the factory ones in there.</P>

Monch 10-08-2003 10:40 PM

What headers???

one thing that should be mentioned is that if you want to stay legal, long tubes are out. I don't know what Florida's rules are, but if they do a visual inspection during smog tests you'll probably have problems. if you decide to go with shorties, jba makes some great ones (so i hear) and they are 50 state legal.

Monch 10-08-2003 10:41 PM

What headers???

you know, i just realized that you had an off road pipe with no cats, please ignore my post as you problably don't care about the legalities.

USAMuscle 10-08-2003 10:43 PM

What headers???

Originally Posted by Monch
you know, i just realized that you had an off road pipe with no cats, please ignore my post as you problably don't care about the legalities.

</P>

lol</P>

mrfordgt91 10-09-2003 03:11 AM

What headers???

i would take it to another exhaust shop. sounds like the guys you are using right now are a bunch of hacks.