4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steeda quadarant

Old 02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
coleg

Default steeda quadarant

What exactly does it do? Is it worth buying, and does it change the height the clutch engages at? Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: steeda quadarant

It replaces the stock plastic quadrant, and ratchet and pawl semi-automatic adjuster, with a non-adjustablequadrant machinedof aluminum. [/align][/align]Since the OEM adjustment mechanism is removed you will need either an adjustable clutch cable or firewall adjuster (you can use both) in order to properly adjust the cable--which BTW should be adjusted so that there is 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" of free-play in the pedal.[/align][/align]I have a UPR triple-hook and their "Quick-Click" adjuster and love it. It would have been one of my first mods if I had realised how much it improves the feel and consistency of the clutch action--whether or not it's worth it to you is something only you can decide.[/align][/align]Steeda and others also provide quick release quadrants with steeper cam action to speed up engagement/disengagement. A penalty of this is increased pedal effort, the quick release quadrants are not really suited for DD use.[/align][/align]----------------------[/align]Here's a link to a write-up describing a way to manually "trick" the automatic adjuster--I did this on my '03 GT and found that it did improve the clutch action, but as the author describes it also had a tendency to reset itself every 3-4 days or so. I was going to bend the indicated tab that triggers to auto-adjuster, however the real fix is an aftermarket quadrant and adjuster.[/align]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
coleg

I was just wondering because my clutch engages so high up. I tried to adust it by pulling up the clutch, but it did nothing. I heard that the foroem cable was the best to use though. There has been a lot of complaints about the aftermarket cables. How hard is this product to install?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You say the clutch engages high, how high in inches from the floor?[/align][/align]Is there any free-play in your clutch pedal? Push on the pedal with you hand until you feel it get stiff (when the throwout bearing is loaded)--you should have to push the pedal 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" before you feel the resistance of the clutch spring, maybe even a bit more. If you have proper free-play then the clutch will be engaging/disengaging at the proper height (unless the clutch disc is very worn). [/align][/align]This may be too high for your taste, and an adjustable cable or firewall adjuster will let you change that a bit (maybe an inch).However too much free-play, which will lower the engagement point, may get you to a point where the clutch does not release completely and cause the clutch to drag and stiff shifting--perhaps even transmission damage.[/align][/align]You should havea mechanic or savvy friend familiar with Mustangs drive your car and get their opinion.[/align][/align][/align]