4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

traction control question

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

Default traction control question

ive been reading around and it seems that having traction control off makes your car faster, so u should turn off the button if you have it. but if you dont even have the switch to turn it on or off, like i dont (99 mustang gt)then you dont have traction control? which is good right...?

someone please enlighten me one both of my questions
Old 02-10-2008, 05:32 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: traction control question

The stock traction control sucks, it will slow you down.

If you don't have the button, you don't have traction control. You would know if you did... any time you spin the rear wheels the car would pull all timing and it feels like its dieing on you.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 AM
xroadsgrad

I have the traction control button but it does nothin.

...any ideas? is it possible a fuse is burnt? 2000 mustang gt vert.

thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

so when you hit the button, t/c is still on?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:55 AM
WIKD

How do you know it isn't doing anything? When you hit the button the light on the button should illuminate. This means that the TRAC is off. The only real time you are going to notice anything is when you are spinning the tires. It's not that the traction control does not allow you to spin the tires, it's that when you spin them the green light on the dash in the shape of a wheel comes on and it retards the timing to pull away power. So with the traction controlon break the tires loose and see what happens. With it off you will not notice anything different than a car without it and it does not make your car faster. When you turn it off it just cancels that safety feature.
To see the green light put your key in the ignition and turn the car on without starting. All the lights on the dash come on for a second during the test feature and you should see a green one that looks like a tire going thru water. At least I think I remember it looking like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
racpace

Hey Xroad - Has somebody else previously owne your car? If they did, was it custom tuned with an SCT handheld tuner? If so, you have the option of turning of Traction Control.....forever. Once the deed is done, theres no going back. Did this happen to your car? Mr. M - you don't need to sweat it, it wasn't an option in 1999, we just lived dangerously back then. God only knowswhat laying down 240screaminghp would do, but in 2000 somehow He let Ford know that even that limp amount of HP could possible make the car go sideways, with the right conditions - so Ford installed the T/C device which retards timing AND restricts fuel flow to the engine. Double whammy! Don't EVER turn it off though with a tuner, it comes in handy when you've unleashed the true potential of these magnificent Mod Motors. Besides, it gives you a chance to really fake out some misguided Camaro/Trans Am?Corvette weenie before you lay them to waste in the 1/4! So there you go. (Former Chevy die hard guy....)
Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Mjaga251
2nd Gear Member

I have a 99 GT and it has TC, was this an option at the dealer to have it or not?
I thought it was standard?
I could be wrong, in fact, I probably am, but just wondering...
When the light illuminates the word "off", then it's off! lol
Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

T/C sucks in the winter !
Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Mustang 03 GT
1st Gear Member

TC is like a engine retarder.Once your tires start to spin it automatically kicks on. If you're racing someone this might cause you to lose. I was going to disable mine using my SCT tuner but living where I live sometimes the TC comesin handy.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

in the rain, TC is good, thats why I like it, when racing, it WILL BE bad, so turn it off. Although every now and then Ill be taking a fast turn on the highway(my idea of fast=twice the suggested speed limit) and the TC will kick on and pull the timing and apply the rear brakes, not so fun when I am flying down the highway and my tires ARE NOT spinning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: traction control question