4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

zex dry kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 PM
99black5spd
1st Gear Member

Default zex dry kit

i have a zex dry kit...will it work or not or do i have to return it and get the wet kit? i really hope that this dry kit will work cuz i already have it in my car ready to go except the two hoses for it from the nmu...
Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
99black5spd
1st Gear Member

Default RE: zex dry kit

anyone know at all?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
steedondubs
2nd Gear Member

Im lost man. What do you mean will it work? Why wouldnt it work? Its for your year, make, and model right?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Im not an expert by any means, but why go dry? To get more out of your stang, and do it safely, your still going to need to provide more fuel for your new found power. So did you upgrade your fuel pump? Did you look into possibly needing bigger injectors (not sure if you would). Just by reading about the wet kits on the zex website, the benefits are better and it doesn't take all that much more to install a wet kit over a dry kit.

If I were you, I would call a zex representative and see if you can a) return your kit and exchange for a wet one, or b) upgrade some parts and make your dry into a wet.

without the extra fuel a wet kit provides, you are running a bigger chance of detonation and cracking your plastic intake manifold. But if you already have a different solution for delivering more fuel, or you are really limiting your shots (then why bother to beggin with), you should be safe to a certain degree.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
99black5spd
1st Gear Member

well i have new injectors...39lbs and what not the fuel pump is a no i was told by them i didnt need it...and im asking if it would work or not because it has 2 hoses that have to go to a fuel regulator and and unused fitting on the intake manifold????? and i cant find these to things at all...i called zex but i was on hold for like an hour and didnt feel like waiting anymore so i called lethal performance and they said that they would try to get in touch with them so i have to call them back...so yea i really hope i dont have to take this whole thing out of my car
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM
BolognaPony
2nd Gear Member

I believe you run the bigger risk of blowing the intake with a WET kit.

The reason for this is that fuel is mixed in with the nitrous in the intake passages, and if a backfire does occur it ignites the fuel all the way up through the intake and pops it.

Otherwise, all you have in the intake is N20 and thats not flammable by itself.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BolognaPony

The reason for this is that fuel is mixed in with the nitrous in the intake passages, and if a backfire does occur it ignites the fuel all the way up through the intake and pops it.

yes the only way to have a nitrous backfire is with a wet kit. HOWEVER, is dry safer? no. dry kit relies on your engine sensors noticing the extra oxygen in the cylinders and adding the proper amount of fuel. if it doesnt add enough fuel you run lean and run the risk of blowing your motor. wet kit eliminates this. is there a risk of backfire...yes. but backfires are not a common occurance, and i would rather backfire and blow a 200$ intake manifold than run lean and blow a 2000$ motor.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
BolognaPony
2nd Gear Member

So would i (blow the intake)

Thats why i use a NX wet plate kit.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

ORIGINAL: BolognaPony

yes the only way to have a nitrous backfire is with a wet kit. HOWEVER, is dry safer? no. dry kit relies on your engine sensors noticing the extra oxygen in the cylinders and adding the proper amount of fuel. if it doesnt add enough fuel you run lean and run the risk of blowing your motor. wet kit eliminates this. is there a risk of backfire...yes. but backfires are not a common occurance, and i would rather backfire and blow a 200$ intake manifold than run lean and blow a 2000$ motor.
+1[sm=exactly.gif] WORD !
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I8URRICE
1st Gear Member

zex sucks...go with NX

Quick Reply: zex dry kit