4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 AM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust question

i dont have much money right now but i have a few questions about exhaust systems

1. everythign i read about buying an exhaust system seems so complicated, could u just buy the system online and not need anything else?
2. also, if i did get it, how hard is it to setup, would i want to get it done at a dealership? and how much would labor be for something like that?

thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 04:12 AM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust question

i'm not sure what exhaust you're looking at, but a cat-back is pretty simple to install, as well as an x/h-pipe. if you're looking at doing headers then it complicates things a bit because the long-tubes can be a real pain to install. i've still got the stock manifolds and h-pipe on mine, but with the Steeda cat-back, and it was real easy to install (sounds awesome too, real deep tone and not too loud). just bolted right in, no need for any extra hardware (and definitely no need for a dealership's ridiculous labor rates). i had the luxury of using a lift so that made things pretty easy, but i'm sure it can be done on jackstands too. it's been a few years since i put it on, but i think i remember having to cut up my stock cat-back to get it out. maybe it was being a pain and didn't want to come out, or maybe i just didn't care about saving the stock setup and decided to speed up the install, but i'm pretty sure i cut the pipes right before and right after the axle so it would come out easier. just get a pipe cutter from a parts store, they're cheap and easy to use. aftermarket h- and x-pipes are probably even easier to install than a cat-back. if you decide to get an off-road midpipe (without cats) make sure that you turn off your o2 sensors or use MIL eliminators, otherwise i think your check engine light will come on.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i pretty much go along wit everything that texas_stang02 said...everything is pretty easy to do the catback will prolly take bout 2 hours and bout the same for the x pipe i would do both at once if u got the money to do it at the time but if not def go wit the catback first cause that willl prolly get u the most sound unless u get and O/R x pipe....u just need to look around at a few places listen to youtube vids on certain exhaust and find out wut u like ...u will find almost all exhaust made for ur specific year and model....and it is prolly the 2nd easiest to install besides a cai....i have done bout 3 all usin jack stands and it was a sinch and dependin of ur exhaust will go over ur axel will tell u if u wanna cut it out or not...i cut 2 out and the 3rd didnt go over the axel it was on my cobra....i would just cut it cause it would be a real pain to try and get it out....let me kno wut kind of car u got and wut year and stuff and i can look some stuff up for u best of luck man
Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
tylerl90
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

i'm not sure what exhaust you're looking at, but a cat-back is pretty simple to install, as well as an x/h-pipe. if you're looking at doing headers then it complicates things a bit because the long-tubes can be a real pain to install. i've still got the stock manifolds and h-pipe on mine, but with the Steeda cat-back, and it was real easy to install (sounds awesome too, real deep tone and not too loud). just bolted right in, no need for any extra hardware (and definitely no need for a dealership's ridiculous labor rates). i had the luxury of using a lift so that made things pretty easy, but i'm sure it can be done on jackstands too. it's been a few years since i put it on, but i think i remember having to cut up my stock cat-back to get it out. maybe it was being a pain and didn't want to come out, or maybe i just didn't care about saving the stock setup and decided to speed up the install, but i'm pretty sure i cut the pipes right before and right after the axle so it would come out easier. just get a pipe cutter from a parts store, they're cheap and easy to use. aftermarket h- and x-pipes are probably even easier to install than a cat-back. if you decide to get an off-road midpipe (without cats) make sure that you turn off your o2 sensors or use MIL eliminators, otherwise i think your check engine light will come on.

+1
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Sniper2000GTVert

I did mine on jackstands. I bought some hangers just in case one was bad, but that was the only hardware beside the exhaust. The only real hard part for me was cutting the pipes to take them off. Just do it yourself, you'll tire yourself from cutting the pipes, but you'll save a very big penny.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

for round my area it will cost 500 atleast to have someone do it...dont be worried bout it just make sure u got the right sockes and wrenches before u start that might be the only thing u will need to get is if u dont have the right socket but all u need is like a deep well 5/8 and 9/16 also have short sockes to
Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

It does not cost 500 dollars to have someone install a midpipe and catback.

Perhaps headers, but certianly not the midpipe back.

As for buying things and having everything you need, the catback is really almost always sold complete. Just cut, unbolt, rehang, and rebolt.

I had my midpipe/catback installed for 50 dollars at the same place I was going to have my gears installed at. Sometimes I wish I had just done it myself, but it really does not matter.

The worst part, if you are going from a full stock setup to aftermarket midpipe catback will be unbolting the stock H pipe from the exhaust manifolds, and the attemtping to reinstall.

It's definately not something you have to have done at a Ford dealership though, if in fact they would even touch the exhaust of your car with an aftermarket catted midpipe at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I paid $70 to have someone install my catback (muffler shop)
Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya my bad on the 500 that was for full exhaust includin headers thats why it was so much...it prolly is round 50 bcuks but that should tell u to do it all on ur own....o ya make sure to spray all the bolts down wit wd-40 or something like that withou out doin that it will be quite a bit more challengin
Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
mr_mustang23
2nd Gear Member

dang the thing is i know absolutely nothing about cars and taking them apart and i rele like the h pipe, so with a catback h pipe how much would that cost at a dealership, and someone said they might not do it? im confused

Quick Reply: exhaust question