4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MK VIII ENGINE SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MK VIII ENGINE SWAP

Ok I read the post and why the hell is Moddedmustangs blocked out? I have no idea what he is talking about. Sure upgrade your motor mounts to better ones but the bolting location is going to be the exact same as the cobra. The k members are also going to be the same so dont' worry about that. Like I said before though, I really wish that guy would say why he thought he need to swap the A arms. I just keep thing about it but I can't come up with why he would need to do that.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
edouglass77

This site edits the names of other sites from being posted, sorry. But you figured it out!

Yeah, I agree. He was the ONLY person to have said anything like that, and it makes ZERO sense, either he doesn't know what he's talking about or someone took him for a ride on that swap. Thanks for looking into it.

I guess I'm gonna try and buy this engine. I was concerned about the flywheel, but I've since been told the MK VIII uses a 6 bolt like my GT, and that the Cobra is 8 b/c of the different (forged) crank that it uses. So, outside of replacing the motor mounts (more for good measure than necessity) and possibly swapping the ECU that I get with the engine, this should be straightfoward.

Anyone who knows better please tell me. I think I can buy this 50k mi 4V engine for about $600 with ALL accessories. So, I'll net a better motor and extra alternator, starter, a/c compressor and p/s pump for less than the cost of used P/I heads and a new P/I intake with machine work would have cost. The engine is still in the car and I can hear it run prior to purchasing, also it appears very clean.

If there are any serious flaws in this plan someone please tell me!!

Also, any interest in me writing up the swap w/pics? I don't mind either way, but we could end some debate over the ins and outs, who knows, maybe this could be a popular swap vs the PI?? (getting ahead of myself)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I would seriously think about buying a cobra intake down the road. They can be had for pretty cheap, take a look around www.corral.net/forums.

Example: this is kind of an expensive one but you get the idea. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=995109
I also see stock cobra cams on there all the time too.

I really can't see any other hold ups here other then you may want to check out the exhaust manifold situation. It may be a little different, I would also look into the fuel rail situation. Other then that it really should be fairly straight forward.

If I'm wrong I guess I'll give you my address and you can come punch me in the mouth, but to the best of my knowledge you should be able to do this.

Edit: I know I could probably google and find a picture but do you have any pictures of this engine? I'm also wondering about throttle cables and if the coolant cross over and all of that is the same.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
edouglass77

LOL!! I'd have only myself to be angry with if this doesn't work out. My mechanic friend will be available for help on anything tough, he's got years of race car, high performance street car, motorcycle and fabrication experience, so these things we can work with, but I just need know ahead.

Coolant crossover is a great point....worst case scenario I'll make a different coolant hose work. The engine comes with the fuel rails, so that should be workable too, just need to get gas to them, right? Throttle cable is another good one I can't beleive I didn't consider. I'll have him throw his in for the deal, it won't be worth anything on it's own. It's a complete running car now so that should be fine.

These are exactly the things I need to be reminded of!

I do have a picture of the engine, but the MKVIII has a large plastic cover over the engine, so you can't tell much that way.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if you do go through with this can you make a list of parts and modifications you have to make. like i said i've seen several people that were wanting to go through with this or asking what all it takes and no one has given like a complete write up for it.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Wynn
2nd Gear Member

There's a mark VIII engine on Craigslist in OMaha for $400 don't know how close you are.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Make sure you get the Thremostat housing with the engine. I didn't read what ever post you guys are talking about changing the A-arms But you don't have to do it to swap

Old 02-16-2008, 08:31 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
WhiteSaleen
1st Gear Member

I blew the motor in my 1997 Cobra, like three times. The last time I didn't rebuild, I just purchased a Linkoln Mark VIII Motor, bolted on my intake/runners, valve covers,headers and dropped it in. Although, a lot of people don't know that they're a six bolt crank, unlike the Cobra's 8-bolt. So you have to buy a clutch/flywheel setup for a GT, but since thats what you already have, you're set! Hope this helped ya'
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
edouglass77

Thanks, that does help. I've made an offer on the engine and should know something soon. I'm most concerned now with throttle cable(s), intake plumbine (to the filter) and coolant lines. I think as long as I get those parts with the engine, especially the cable(s) and coolant crossoverand thremostat housing I should be fine. Wiring scares me a little, mostly b/c some say to use exiusting harness/ecu, and others say to swap.

What did you do to go through 3 Cobra motors?!?!

From what I've learned to ONLY differences between the Cobra engine and the MK VIII are the crank (8 bolt forged vs 6 bolt cast), the intake manifold, and the MK VIII has a different intake cam profile (or maybe it's the exhuast, I've read so much on these lately I get it confused). MK VIII engines are rated at either 280, or 290 HP, the LSC cars had the 290. The 290 hp cars actually have a more restrictive intake than the 280 hp cars, but the exhaust on the LSC allows for the increase. I'm sureLincolns have extremely restrictive exhaust for noise reasons, so this is one of those engine that probably benefits greatly from a good free flow system. After 99 the blocks are not the sameCobra Teskid block, which apparently are made in Italy. So, ideally you'd take the pre 99 280 hp engine for this swap. With exhaustand a K&N I've read that engine will make within 5-10 hp of the stock Cobra engine.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought this may be helpfull for anyone considering doing this at some point.

Quick Reply: MK VIII ENGINE SWAP