4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

checked out the V10 mule....anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: checked out the V10 mule....anyone done this?

Forget the weight. Where are you going to find parts for it?

Who is going to grind you a V10 camshaft? V10 intake manifolds? How about a new forged crank? Forget it.

Talking MAJOR expense to do anything but have a stock V10 truck motor in your car. The only thing that you could do easily would be to get the heads ported and worked...and I bet even that would be pricey. IF you could get aftermarket parts for around the same price as 4.6 stuff it would be worth it.. but I don't think thats ever going to happen.

IMO if you could get the parts it would more than make up for the added weight by making more power. The mule car was nothingmore thanthe mustang 4.6 with another 2 cylindersadded. Several magazines did storys on the car, and from what I remeber they took two casts for mustang specific heads, cut and pasted them together. and madethe V10 cast.

Surely adding another 1/4 to the overall displacement would more than make up for the added weight, your talking a 351 CI engine. Not only would it have more displacement, but going to a V10 means that it still has the same CFMflow per CI as a281 V8.A V10 351 should vastly outperform a V8 351 with the same basic heads, and regardless you cannot stroke/bore a4.6 to that size anyway.

Somehow, the engine definatly fits. The video was of a 99-early 01 after all. Not only is it driving, but driving hard, so they must have made some sort of K member to fit... but once again good luck finding one.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I think it would be freaking awesome. Sure there are cons to it but it would be wicked at a car show.

Can you imaginepulling into a parking lot full of ricers. They will come over (you know they will) to tell you about how their civic with the R2D2 spec VIIIIIIIIIIIII engine can annihilate you. You would just smile, lift the hood and say "really??......ever take a V10?"
That would be priceless.Anyway, enough dreaming..............

Those engines can be had. They aren't very plentiful but they are out there to be had.
Plenty of F-250/350 pick ups had them and they are widely used in the cube vans and motorhomes.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:08 AM
GTbitch

oh my god how do i get that persons job to test drive the v10 stang around and say how it does sign me up please
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

For the cost/gas mileage/practicality of the project, it's not a very good idea at all.

Especially for a single person. Maybe someone with a load of cash, or a sort of project car. But that would certainly be about it.
can't be any worse than a built 2v
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

well that was like you said a mule, this is not a production engine. there are companies that will custom grind cams for you, heads no after market for it, headers there are a couple sites out there. as far as the k member goes, the mounting points are the same on the 6.8 as they are on the 5.4l, also the v10 has the same bore and stroke as the 5.4.....the engines you can get (non mule) are a waste of money.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

like I said, how you going to get cams/cranks/intakes etc etc for a V10? Nobody makes cam blanks for a V10 mod motor so your going to need a reground etc etc.

Its a great idea, but no aftermarket support means its doomed to failure unless you want a stock V10 for the novelty.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
jawsgt
2nd Gear Member

how bout the transmission? and wut about computer and harness wut would be used?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I like the dual intake deal. Very interesting.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Who is going to grind you a V10 camshaft? V10 intake manifolds? How about a new forged crank? Forget it.

Talking MAJOR expense to do anything but have a stock V10 truck motor in your car. The only thing that you could do easily would be to get the heads ported and worked...and I bet even that would be pricey. IF you could get aftermarket parts for around the same price as 4.6 stuff it would be worth it.. but I don't think thats ever going to happen.

IMO if you could get the parts it would more than make up for the added weight by making more power. The mule car was nothingmore thanthe mustang 4.6 with another 2 cylindersadded. Several magazines did storys on the car, and from what I remeber they took two casts for mustang specific heads, cut and pasted them together. and madethe V10 cast.

Surely adding another 1/4 to the overall displacement would more than make up for the added weight, your talking a 351 CI engine. Not only would it have more displacement, but going to a V10 means that it still has the same CFMflow per CI as a281 V8.A V10 351 should vastly outperform a V8 351 with the same basic heads, and regardless you cannot stroke/bore a4.6 to that size anyway.

Somehow, the engine definatly fits. The video was of a 99-early 01 after all. Not only is it driving, but driving hard, so they must have made some sort of K member to fit... but once again good luck finding one.
i believe the v10 is a 6.8 which clocks in at around a 411, and i would imagine that since most 5.4 cranks are forged even in 2v trim, then the v10 crank would also be forged as it would generally be built for vehicles with more load.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

i believe the v10 is a 6.8 which clocks in at around a 411, and i would imagine that since most 5.4 cranks are forged even in 2v trim, then the v10 crank would also be forged as it would generally be built for vehicles with more load.
The 3v cranks are forged, the 2v cranks are not to my knowledge. Everyone was excited about the new 3v possibly providing a cheap shortblock solution, but the rods and pistons are still cast. No idea on the V10.

But the V10 in the test mule was not a 411. The mule was nothing more than a 4.6L 2v (I think it was 2v anyway) with 2 extra cyilnders added by splicing together two different head/block/crank etc casts.

So far as the 6.8, its a totally different animal, but ditto for finding parts etc for them.

Quick Reply: checked out the V10 mule....anyone done this?