4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is it ok to switch to full syn at 77k miles??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: is it ok to switch to full syn at 77k miles??

I run Royal Purple, but have run Mobil1 in the past. They are both great oils and you will have no issues with either.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Hey wwturnerjr, easy with the bold. Secondly, anyone who runs oil for a year or 25,000 miles is stupid. Oil breaks down from the additives and doesn't lube as well after time/mileage. Are you really that lazy to not change your oil and run it forthat long? Talk about saving money on oil changes, talk to me when you spin a rod bearing and need a shortblock.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwturnerjr

I run nothing but Amsoil in my car. Amsoil is the best in my opinion, and I would encourage you to do your own research on the web. Furthermore, Amsoil provides extended drain intervals because the oil is superior. I filled my car up with their 5W 30 (ASL) oil and used the Amsoil brand oil filter, and I am good for an entire year or 25,000 miles. Sure it costs more up front to by the Amsoil product, but you end up saving a lot of money because you only change your oil once a year instead of 5+ times. I would not try doing the same with Mobil 1. They have an extended drain interval oil as well, that is supposed to be good for 15,000 miles.

WHAT?? Are you completely serious or just lost your mind? Oil breaks down waaaaayy before that. Even if you had such a miracle oil, you need to change it because all of the dirt particles and/or metal particles are just getting recirculated round and round in your oil and beautifully lubed up bearing surfaces. Cleaners and conditioners are what breaks motor oil down. Motor oil itself will never break down without detergents!!! Also, who gave you that 25,000mile story???
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
CAMDUP
3rd Gear Member

Amsoil is the **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Yes, I don't car if it's got 100+k switching to synthetic can never hurt an engine. Unless of course, your motors so badly worn out the rings are bad and the old gunky engine oil is the only thing from keeping it together. With new engine oils and great design of the new engines, 100k is break-in time in my eyes.
+1
Old 02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: wwturnerjr

I run nothing but Amsoil in my car. Amsoil is the best in my opinion, and I would encourage you to do your own research on the web. Furthermore, Amsoil provides extended drain intervals because the oil is superior. I filled my car up with their 5W 30 (ASL) oil and used the Amsoil brand oil filter, and I am good for an entire year or 25,000 miles. Sure it costs more up front to by the Amsoil product, but you end up saving a lot of money because you only change your oil once a year instead of 5+ times. I would not try doing the same with Mobil 1. They have an extended drain interval oil as well, that is supposed to be good for 15,000 miles.

WHAT?? Are you completely serious or just lost your mind? Oil breaks down waaaaayy before that. Even if you had such a miracle oil, you need to change it because all of the dirt particles and/or metal particles are just getting recirculated round and round in your oil and beautifully lubed up bearing surfaces. Cleaners and conditioners are what breaks motor oil down. Motor oil itself will never break down without detergents!!! Also, who gave you that 25,000mile story???
my bet would be someone that would benefit from him needing a new engine in about 25,000 miles. there's no way you can go that far on the same 5 or 6 quarts of oil. my dad owns a service center, and he got a call from a customer a while back that they got their oil changed there and then their engine blew. he went out to look at the car, and they hadn't changed the oil for over 30,000 miles! she said "oh it's 3,000 miles, i thought it was every 30,000". it's not like there's a sticker on your windshield or anything that tells you the date/mileage that you're due [&:]
Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
MollyMustang
1st Gear Member

wwturnerjr isn't too far off on his claims about going a whole year on the same motor oil as long as you don't drive more than 12-15,000 miles a year. You just have to regularly change the oil filter and add a quart each time. Read these articles: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html
When I bought my car I couldn't decide whether it was worth it or not to run synthetic, i soon found these articles and have run Mobil One since I bought my stang. I personally only change the oil filter at 3000-4000 miles along with a fresh quart of oil to replace what was lost in the filter. I then run it for around 3000-5000 more miles depending on how hard I've been driving the car.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 AM
GTbitch

I just switched to rp. Its awesome. Dont notice any hp gain but definatly smoother i love it! Car seems happier. Running cooler too! B4 the needle would be perfectly vertical between C and H. Now its leanin towards the C even after an hour of highway drivin. Thats amazing. Im never usin a reg oil again. And now i got my family wantin to use it in thier cars and even 4 wheelers. Thanks again u all have been really informative and helpful!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i switched mine over to mobile 1 FS last change, motor sounds like it runs a tad smoother. 56k or so on mine.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com All you ever wanted to know about motor oil

: Check the oil forums link

Quick Reply: is it ok to switch to full syn at 77k miles??