MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   keep popin cig. lighter fuse (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/407577-keep-popin-cig-lighter-fuse.html)

StockD15b 02-16-2008 08:59 PM

keep popin cig. lighter fuse

what do i need to look for? bad ground. the lighter thing its self is bad? anyhelp is always a help.

99BlackPonyGT 02-16-2008 09:09 PM

RE: keep popin cig. lighter fuse

try a bigger fuse

FrostByte 02-16-2008 09:10 PM

quit smoking:)

StockD15b 02-16-2008 10:18 PM

lol tried bigger fuses, same result. ive been workin on the quiting part.

Xemeth 02-17-2008 02:15 AM

When you install a new fuse, make sure the actual ciggarette lighter isn't in. Put it in the cup holder or something. If you have it in when you put the new fuse in and turn the key on, it'll blow again. Once you cycle the key it should be OK.

At least that's how it works with every other car I've worked on.

StockD15b 02-17-2008 08:16 AM

i'll try that

timeformiller44 02-17-2008 08:19 AM

NEVER EVER EVER GO BIGGER FUSEEE BAD **** CAN HAPPEN!!

k your set fuse is set for a reason..bc anything over that AMP..can harm wires..connectors whatever!!!..so if u go bigger.. your letting harmful amperage continue to stay in that circuit which can fry more ****!!!

chances are you have a short somewhere in the cig light circuit...

and seeing as you did use a bigger fuse...chances are
there is deintaly
:broken wire
:cut wire
:chafed wire

def need to start checking your wiring out.. something is burnt.broken.shorting somewhere to keep popping fuses

StockD15b 02-17-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

NEVER EVER EVER GO BIGGER FUSEEE BAD **** CAN HAPPEN!!

k your set fuse is set for a reason..bc anything over that AMP..can harm wires..connectors whatever!!!..so if u go bigger.. your letting harmful amperage continue to stay in that circuit which can fry more ****!!!

chances are you have a short somewhere in the cig light circuit...

and seeing as you did use a bigger fuse...chances are
there is deintaly
:broken wire
:cut wire
:chafed wire

def need to start checking your wiring out.. something is burnt.broken.shorting somewhere to keep popping fuses

i'll deff look into it more. i just tried the one suggestion. as soon as you plug somethin in it pops. I only so much bc i cant use my Sirius. Unless someone can tell me how to hard wire it?

timeformiller44 02-17-2008 08:51 AM

dont hardwire it.. find the problem and fix it ... if u dont who knows what the wire is next to (if it is) and may cause another one to go bad...u dont want to deal with an electircal nightmare.. u really dont

99BlackPonyGT 02-17-2008 12:00 PM

plug the sirius into the other power outlet thing in your center console?