4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a few questions before an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

Default a few questions before an upgrade

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.
and yes i have poured through the serch function multiple times to no avail.

i have a 98gt
procharged intercooled at 12psi
catback
3.73's
aluminum drive shaft

i am looking to upgrade to some 315/35-17 nitto's on 17x10.5 rims (95 cobra r's).. will they fit on the back of my car?
if so should i be concerned about breaking my rear end?
will my old 275/35-17's fit upfront?
i am also going to buy some bbk longtube headers and o/r h pipe, will installing this take alot of tecnical know how? and is there a writup anywhere?
and finnaly is a pi intake swap worth the time for my setup?? or should i just do a full pi swap?
--------------
again thanks for any input.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: a few questions before an upgrade

yes the tires will fit and no u dont need to worry about breaking your rear. the nittos might be drag radials but they arent the stikiest thing to say the least. not a pro on the pi intake or anything but i know my friend (97stanger i think is his name) swaped his none pi for a pi intake and gaines quite a bit of power, he is also supercharged. good luck
Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02StangGuy

yes the tires will fit and no u dont need to worry about breaking your rear. the nittos might be drag radials but they arent the stikiest thing to say the least. not a pro on the pi intake or anything but i know my friend (97stanger i think is his name) swaped his none pi for a pi intake and gaines quite a bit of power, he is also supercharged. good luck
oh good deal, i was thinking the pi intake would be a good mod for the money.
thanks alot.
so the 275's on the front wouldent rub?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

The PI intake is a good idea, but if you have the money, you may want to look into getting a set of aftermarket heads and a cam to go with your setup. You could even pick up some used PI heads and have them ported while they are out of the car, and get some custom grinds to put in. Assemble everything out of the motor, then just drop the heads in and line up the timing chains. You would pick up a good amout of power if you have the funds to do that at the moment, and you will avoid having to take the top of the motor apart again.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Yes those tires will fit, but about the PI swap. The intake will gain you some power, but if you also perform the head swap as well you will have to worry about the compression running the supercharger. You will have 10.5:1 compression after the swap. So you could use athicker headgasket to lower the compresson to run the supercharger.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayBanion

Yes those tires will fit, but about the PI swap. The intake will gain you some power, but if you also perform the head swap as well you will have to worry about the compression running the supercharger. You will have 10.5:1 compression after the swap. So you could use athicker headgasket to lower the compresson to run the supercharger.
if i were to do the full pi swap wouldent i have to worry about the stock bottom end.. and expecialy if i port and cam the heads?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

You shouldnt end up making 400 to the wheels with that set up, and from everything I've read. Transmissions and other assorted parts begin to give way before the bottom end.

But like others have said, if you're going to be taking the intake off anyways, might as well go for heads/cams anyways while you're at it. Even if you go with stock PI material.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

You shouldnt end up making 400 to the wheels with that set up, and from everything I've read. Transmissions and other assorted parts begin to give way before the bottom end.

But like others have said, if you're going to be taking the intake off anyways, might as well go for heads/cams anyways while you're at it. Even if you go with stock PI material.
even ported and cammed i wouldent hit 400hp.. well then.
well if i were to do just the pi intake swap and the lt headers and o/r h pipe what type of hp #'s am i looking at?
and thanks for the info.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Well, I won't say for sure that you WON'T hit 400, but I would think that at only 12 lbs you'd come up a bit short.

SOmeone with more blower knowledge should help you out with that, as well as your most recent question
Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

Well, I won't say for sure that you WON'T hit 400, but I would think that at only 12 lbs you'd come up a bit short.

SOmeone with more blower knowledge should help you out with that, as well as your most recent question
for the moment i will prolly only do the lt's and the tires, ill save the pi problem for fall or next spring

still want to know if anyone has any idea how much hp and tq ill be running with pi intake and the lt's on at 12 psi.

Quick Reply: a few questions before an upgrade