4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need a good trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a good trans cooler

hey, im lookin into buying a trans cooler for my 03 gt auto. which brand do u guys recommend? websites and parts number would b a big help. i tried the search button and foundthe B&M cooler as a good one but don't kno which one or part exactly? thanx
Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need a good trans cooler

B&M Supercooler , part # 70266 . thats what I have .
Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

heres a link .....http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...p;autoview=sku
Old 02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
ShinobiOfLegends
3rd Gear Member

i'm using the B&M HiTEk Supercooler. it's pricey but well worth it in my opinion. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blstoff

thanx for the link.how do u like yours? does it come with everything for installation? im thinkin about buyin the same one.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRed03GT

thanx for the link.how do u like yours? does it come with everything for installation? im thinkin about buyin the same one.
I like it alot . I did alot of datalogging last summer while at the track . the highest fluid temp I recorded was 181*F & that was in the middle of the day when it was hot as **** outside . when I got mine , I just got the cooler . then I went to AdvanceAutoParts & got the hose kit for like $10-15 . heres another link w/ the same cooler & it looks like it comes as a kit , its the 3rd part down on thepage . let me know if you want some pics of mineso you can get some idea's how to install ....http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...goryCode=3352B
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRed03GT

I like it alot . I did alot of datalogging last summer while at the track . the highest fluid temp I recorded was 181*F & that was in the middle of the day when it was hot as **** outside . when I got mine , I just got the cooler . then I went to AdvanceAutoParts & got the hose kit for like $10-15 . heres another link w/ the same cooler & it looks like it comes as a kit , its the 3rd part down on thepage . let me know if you want some pics of mineso you can get some idea's how to install ....http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...goryCode=3352B
i wouldgladly appreciate it if u could send me sum pics of the install and parts u had to buy separate. i definitely want to do this b4 summer gets here. thanx alot
Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 PM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I need to get educated. What is wrong w/ the stock transcooler. No one has ever mentioned to be that the transcooler needs to be upgraded. Is this easy to do for aa novice mech.
I don't race my car at the track, but I do drive it hard sometimes. Is this neccessary ???? I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but need to know if it's worth my time to do this. thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

BigRed03GT : I'll take a few pics tomorrow & post them for ya along w/ parts & tools .

sfi :
90% of all trans failure's is caused by excessive heat . the stock cooler is on the side of the radiator & it is not sufficient , especially in your case since you are s/c'ed . if I were you I would get a cooler immediately before you have some sort of failure . you should also flush the old fluid & get Mercon V synthetic fluid . I've seen temps as high as 220+ w/ stock setup , varnish starts to form around 230-240*F . optimum temp is 175*F . if all automatic vehicles came w/ a good cooler it would put a lot of trans shops out of business . you can find everything I'm saying on B&M's site &http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/tra...on/index.shtml
I dont think you would have a problem installing yourself . the only special tool you'll need is a small pipe cutter which you can find at any parts store for a few bucks . I'll post exactly how I did mine after I take some pics for you guys . I would also recommend youdo or have someone doa j-mod, you can find that info on the link above .
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

thanx alot blstoff, really appreciate ur help. by the way where did u order the j-mod? i got the shift points done wit the sct tuner. would u recommend puttin the shift points back to stock and install the j-mod instead?

Quick Reply: Need a good trans cooler