MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   removed traction control switch now car wont drive! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/410784-removed-traction-control-switch-now-car-wont-drive.html)

Jbauer 02-24-2008 12:59 PM

removed traction control switch now car wont drive!

i broke my TC switch taking it out so i cant put it back in, but now when it ry to drive it, the ABS light turns on and the car will hardly move, is the removal of the switch suppose to have this kind of effect on the system?

Nitti00GT 02-24-2008 01:03 PM

RE: removed traction control switch now car wont drive!

I know that when you loose traction your computer cuts power to the wheels by cutting timing at the motor. So maybe by removing the switch you messed with the computer and possibly detuned your cars performance. You might have to take it to a dealership and have them look at it.

Ecstasy 02-24-2008 01:10 PM

damn, most people just disable it with a tuner, id order a tuner asap.

Jbauer 02-24-2008 01:35 PM

i got the pins into the harness, so the computer should be getting a signal..when i started it up, the guages all went to the highest setting, than to zero, and then to normal.. the car drives fine now.
Looking at a wiring diagram in my haynes, the traction control system and ABS work together, the ECM has a signal from the switch at all times and with the switch removed the ecm assumed that traction was lost, engaging the abs.

kenv 02-24-2008 07:59 PM

WOW!, Thats why I am in the " If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it club";)

2002silvergt 02-24-2008 09:19 PM

It more than likely is locking your brakes....thats what the traction control does

GhostRider02GT 02-24-2008 10:22 PM

^^ yup (not locking, just applying brakes)

Nitti00GT 02-24-2008 11:30 PM

Then what causes your motor to run like crap when the traction control kicks in?

oxfordgt 02-25-2008 05:17 AM

Traction control does not cut timing and does not lock your breaks. What would either of those two things do to help you regain traction? Traction control cuts spark. Not timing, spark. Almost like a controled misfire and it will not let the engine rev any higher. Good guesses tho:D

Pest007 02-25-2008 08:40 AM

Traction Control is used to prevent the drive wheels from losing grip when accelerating. Spinning tires during hard acceleration may be dramatic, but it is the slowest way to get to your desired speed. Using the car’s ABS speed sensors at the wheels, the Traction Control computer compares the drive wheel’s speed to the car’s road speed. If there is a loss of grip event during acceleration, there are a number of ways that the Traction Control slows the drive wheels so they can regain grip. The most common method is to use the braking system. When the drive wheels lose grip, the ABS computer can apply the brake to the wheel that has lost grip to slow it down so it can regain grip. Another method for slowing the slipping wheels is to reduce the amount of power applied to them. The computer will electronically modify the amount of fuel entering the engine and/or use the transmission to slow the drive wheels so they can regain grip.

Because Traction Control increases traction by reducing either engine power or applying the brakes, most drag racers turn off their Traction Control Systems (if possible) when drag racing. This allows the vehicle to use all of its available power to move the vehicle forward during the initial launch. A careful launch with minimal wheel spin will lead to faster times that just leaving Traction Control on and stomping the gas.