4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

suspension upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Alpine

Default suspension upgrade advice

ok its time for a bit of suspension upgrade. i have a 99 gt and was thinking of putting a 03 cobra irs in it. how hard is this to do and is it recommended or is there another route i can go. whats a good strut/shock to go with? not to sure about lowering. i bought the car second hand so im not sure (the springs look stock) if it has been lowered. all i know is that im lower than other stock suspension mustangs and i scrape my exhaust of every @#$%& speed bump i come across. and its annoying cause vancouver bc seems to have a hard on for putting speed bumps every bloody 15 feet in their parking lots. so any advice would be great.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: suspension upgrade advice

When I bought my 99 GT, it had an IRS in it, and I trashed it and threw it out for a SRA. Kinda funny huh?

You can make your SRA handle well enough as it sits. I don't know a whole lot about suspension set-ups for handling, I'm more of a straight line guy, so I'll leave this to the other guys.

I can tell you this. A good lower control arm, subframe connectors, and adjustable shock/strut, will do wonders for you.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
baino
4th Gear Member

seems like the IRS swap would be a pain and that it would be easier and cheaper to just upgrade your straight axle (although i love my IRS). Bilstien are a really good brand though. I like my eibachs, but they came with the kit. just my .02, but i think ZW99GT is on to something with the lower control arms, connectors, and shock/strut replacement.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

Alpine, aside from location (Chicago here), we're in the exact same boat. I'm looking at possibly swapping the SRA for an IRS. From what I've read, the swap really isn't all that complicated. But it depends on what you plan to do. Apparently the axles on the IRS are crap once you start adding power, so straight liners would want to stick with the SRA. As for the twisties (which is where I'd like to go), I have to imagine that the IRS setup is superior. And considering there are Cobra guys that want to go SRA for the power benefits, finding someone to swap with (I hope) will not be too terribly difficult.

I hear nothing but good things about the Tokico D-Spec shocks, and there are a number of quality coils, depending on any drop you're looking for. I plan to go for coilovers, but need to explore them a bit more. Kinda rare when it comes to the Mustang, I'm beginning to see..
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

It should be noted that the axles on Cobras handle the power just fine (390hp). The SRA with 31 spline axles will grenade just as easily if you go much above 400hp and run D/R's or slicks.

Not to say they are weak, but both are about the same as far as HP they can handle, now the CV Joints on the IRS is another story entirely.

E.

ORIGINAL: crewwolfy

Alpine, aside from location (Chicago here), we're in the exact same boat. I'm looking at possibly swapping the SRA for an IRS. From what I've read, the swap really isn't all that complicated. But it depends on what you plan to do. Apparently the axles on the IRS are crap once you start adding power, so straight liners would want to stick with the SRA. As for the twisties (which is where I'd like to go), I have to imagine that the IRS setup is superior. And considering there are Cobra guys that want to go SRA for the power benefits, finding someone to swap with (I hope) will not be too terribly difficult.

I hear nothing but good things about the Tokico D-Spec shocks, and there are a number of quality coils, depending on any drop you're looking for. I plan to go for coilovers, but need to explore them a bit more. Kinda rare when it comes to the Mustang, I'm beginning to see..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Alpine

cool i may stick with the sra and get a good set of arm and shocks. i plan to get the sub frame connector regardless of what i do. whats the best set of lower arms to get for a resonalble price. i dont want to cheap out and get garbage but i dont want to spend a morgage payment on them either lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Alpine

are the steeda upper and lower control arms any good?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
4ZZS
2nd Gear Member

I am planning to go with Maximum Motorsport LCAs and Bilstein Struts and Shocks. I know several who are very pleased with that package.
I think the Steeda LCAs are probably pretty good, as well as Stangsuspension's private label brand. There seems to be two significant things you are looking for with new LCAs. First is the basic construction of the piece. Either the steel tube (MM & SS) or boxed (Steeda) are structurally stronger than the flexible stock arms. Second is selecting the bushings you want. They all have better bushings than the stock rubbers but you have to decide HOW stiff you want them to be, based on your driving. I believe that Stangsuspension has some good video clips on their site to explain and other sites have good descriptions as well. Make sure you do your research.