4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Doing rear brakes, any surprises?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Doing rear brakes, any surprises?

My rear brakes are shot beyond measure (didn't notice until it was too late[:@]) So, I will do them tomorrow. I can do the front ones all day long but I have yet to take apart the rear brakes. Is changing the rear rotors and pads as straight forward as changing the front ones? The front ones are incredibly easy and I just want to make sure the rears will be the same.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Doing rear brakes, any surprises?

its easy, but to compress the rear piston in the caliper, you need to rent a tool from the auto parts store because the piston has to rotate while pushing at the same time...almost like screwing it back in while pushing..other than that its cake
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03greyGT

its easy, but to compress the rear piston in the caliper, you need to rent a tool from the auto parts store because the piston has to rotate while pushing at the same time...almost like screwing it back in while pushing..other than that its cake
either that or take the caliper off and use a hammer GENTLY to tap it back into position. This will require a more exensive bleeding, but its not that bad.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Wow, I am glad I asked. So I can get that tool from Auto Zone? I am plannin to just replace them with stock parts; unless someone tells me it's worth it to upgrade the rear bakes.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

If you dont feel like getting the brake tool (it was only like $5 at Oreily's) then you can use needle nose pliers... but its rather difficult...

Ive never replaced rear rotors but I heard its a pain in the but... and not simple at all. But I could have been told wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

This is the tool that I bought when I did my rear brakes. It's a bish at first, but when you get the piston going in the right direction it get's easier. You just plug it onto the socket wrench.

If I remember correctly (cuz I busted my knuckes enough) it will seat back down by turning it clockwise. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Becareful not to slip and,

A: Bust your knuckles
B: Tear the rubber seal

GL

Jason
Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 PM
grubiaco

What's the tool called?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
brian1570
Blart

nah dude i just did all four corners on mine, it was easy as hell...i'm 19. and if i can do it in my drive way(with impact tools) u should be able to also. i had a few problems, but they were unique to my car and not really relavant. i didnt have a piston tool, and i replaced front and back rotors and pads. btw EBC is the ****.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

I didn't really remember the name of it, but I googled "rear caliper tool brake job" and went to the images and it's on the first page.

The page that it's on calls it a "Disc Brake Piston Tool". I believe I got it at Autozone for $6-7.

Hope this helps!

Jason
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Well, I've got to try it. I refuse to pay anyone for doing brakes! I will ask the guys at autozone if they have the tool and get it if they do. I do not, however, have any impact tools. Is that a problem? I didn't use any on my front brakes, so I assumed it wouldn't be an issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Doing rear brakes, any surprises?