4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EVO turbo on my GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

Default EVO turbo on my GT

okso a buddy i work with is willing to let his stock turbo from his evo (04 or 05) get into my hands for next to nothing. both he and i have been doing some research to see if his turbo and my engine are compatible. now i know theres gonna be a lot of metal fab work needed, which isnt a problem. buddy has a welder and all i have to do is order the piping and hed do the fab work for a large pizza or 2. now as far as parts i would need to help get this turbo working what am i looking at here? id like to take advantage of this turbo and slap it on my car but not if its gonna end up costing me just as much as a kit would. im thinking the exhaust manifold will need to be modified.. new fuel pump?injectors (maybe?) and or fuel rails (?).. a y pipe (pretty sure of that one). lets face it.. f/i isnt exactly my strong suit and im just trying to get some input of wether or not this will actually work and not blow my engine to pieces in a week. obviously im gonna need a tune after its installed but all you turbo guys out there help me out and point me in the right direction. my engine is stock and it will probly be that way for a while seeing that i just bought a 2008 gsxr 750 (WHICH I LOVE!!!!). what do you guys think? what all am i gonna need to make this happen? thanks in advance!!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: EVO turbo on my GT

You'll still spend over $2000 after the turbo, and that's if you get deals on the parts and do all the work yourself. To do it right, you'll spend twice that. You also have 4.10's which wouldn't be good for a turbo.

The Evo is a 4 cylinder. I don't know the turbo specs off them, but I doubt it will be very good for your set up. If your gonna turbo, do it right. If a good deal on a turbo is why you won't to build the whole entire kit, I would just forget about it...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Isn't that turbo only designed to feed a 2.0L I4? You would be better off slapping it on the bike
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

ive read in multiple places that putting a turbo on mustangs is relativley complicated but i just wanted to explore my options. if i did put the trubo on my car, id do what is necessary. my dilema is doing what is necessary...how much is that gonna cost me. i mean the turbo itself MIGHT cost me $300 if that. i see all the s/c kits and turbo kits running 3 grand plus so just trying to take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

It still won't be any cheaper to turbo. There are a lot of small pieces that add up and you will have to get tuned.And you would probablyneed 2 evo turbos to be adequate for a turbo set up. If you want to use a used turbo, look into vehicles with bigger engines, like diesel trucks. Check out turbomustangs.com if you want to look into the turbo route more.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

I believe the turbo is a t16.. its a fairly large turbo. its off a 04 Evo VIII. fab work and piping will be done at no cost soother than a tune, fuel pump, injectors....what other parts/modifications are necessary?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
HEAVYMETALMATT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

It still won't be any cheaper to turbo. There are a lot of small pieces that add up and you will have to get tuned.And you would probablyneed 2 evo turbos to be adequate for a turbo set up. If you want to use a used turbo, look into vehicles with bigger engines, like diesel trucks. Check out turbomustangs.com if you want to look into the turbo route more.
he would def need 2. they are actually cheap as all hell. look at www.spooledmotorsports.com for some cheap mitsu and garrett turbos and parts.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:18 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

i cant believe i forgot to mention this lol but my buddy would also be giving me the intercooler. DUH
Old 02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
quitbichyn
2nd Gear Member

why would i need 2? i mean the thing runs at a minimum of 12psi.. so for me to run like 9 or 10 psi i would just need to change the spring on the waste gate
Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

12 psi on a 2.0 liter is like 4 or 5 on a 4.6. Remeber that u have a larger displacement!

Quick Reply: EVO turbo on my GT