4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 buildup 350, 400 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 buildup 350, 400 rwhp

Ny only regret is not saving the extra G and buying a Procharger. But I'm still just as fast, so who whatever.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mach1ford

my mach is getting forged rods, pistons, and rings now and i can tell you it isn't cheap getting those put in. Then again i'm in nm where everything is $$$$
Yeah no shiznit.. I'm looking at $1750-1800 for the forged rods/ring set, another 250-ish for the 10-psi pulley, and maybe 700-ish for a boost-a-pump.. And that's not including the probable 2k it'll cost in install fees.. I might have to forgo the new pulley and just go forged first.. I was trying to get it all done at once to avoid paying a ****-load of $$$ in labor on multiple installs..

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Ny only regret is not saving the extra G and buying a Procharger. But I'm still just as fast, so who whatever.
Ehhh, if you're just as fast broham I'd save the extra $$$ and go Kenne Bell or Vortech.. even the new gen magnusons are better than the ProChargers from what I've seen so far.. The only unit ProCharger makes that can push any more than 12-psi without the impeller going BOOM!!! is probably the D1.. KB's twin screw set up is a LOT more reliable if you can stomach the cash you'd have to fork out to get one..

And this coming from somebody who has the P1S/C-2 ProCharger unit.. LOL I had the thing for less than two weeks before I started having problems with it.. Hopefully this latest re-build will last until I can afford to upgrade.. lol
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

Ehhh, if you're just as fast broham I'd save the extra $$$ and go Kenne Bell or Vortech.. even the new gen magnusons are better than the ProChargers from what I've seen so far.. The only unit ProCharger makes that can push any more than 12-psi without the impeller going BOOM!!! is probably the D1.. KB's twin screw set up is a LOT more reliable if you can stomach the cash you'd have to fork out to get one..

And this coming from somebody who has the P1S/C-2 ProCharger unit.. LOL I had the thing for less than two weeks before I started having problems with it.. Hopefully this latest re-build will last until I can afford to upgrade.. lol
I don't know how you are coming to these conclusions, but I would have to disagree with all of them. Any P-1sc out there should be able to run at least 12 psi without any issues, unless there is something really wrong with the head unit. There are also plenty of more powerful prochagers capable of much more than the P-1sc or the D-1sc. Those are the smallest entry level prochargers in production. If I'm not mistaken, the new Magnusons are still Rotts type....far less efficient than any centri or twin screw around.

And if you are sending in for a rebuild, why not upgrade it to a D-1sc and have no more issues trying to run lots of boost? The D-1sc impeller is much more efficient at higher boost levels.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

I don't know how you are coming to these conclusions, but I would have to disagree with all of them. Any P-1sc out there should be able to run at least 12 psi without any issues, unless there is something really wrong with the head unit. There are also plenty of more powerful prochagers capable of much more than the P-1sc or the D-1sc. Those are the smallest entry level prochargers in production. If I'm not mistaken, the new Magnusons are still Rotts type....far less efficient than any centri or twin screw around.

And if you are sending in for a rebuild, why not upgrade it to a D-1sc and have no more issues trying to run lots of boost? The D-1sc impeller is much more efficient at higher boost levels.
Hrrmmm.. well you probably know a lot more about them than I do so more than likely you're right.. I just say that because everybody I run into seems to think I made a mistake going with ProCharger.. I liked them originally because they were a self contained unit that produced good power across a decent percentage of the powerband.. As for upgrading the P-1, the factory re-built the head unit as it was still under warranty from ProCharger.. I honestly couldn't tell you if the Magnusons are still Rotts type, I just know what I've seen/heard about them.

Still, I looked up some factory specs on the P1, and ProCharger's site says they're rated for 30-psi.. If that's the case why do so many people say they have problems with impeller failures at 12-14 psi +?Rhetorical question I suppose, just a little confusing..

First time I've ever really had the money to truly mod a car so I'm kind of learning as I go..
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
redevil01

alright guys lots of useful info here thankyou.... last question what kind of power range would i be in with a mmr completely forged bottom end with some port and polish 2 valve heads? if i did this i could always tack on a supercharger later running some mild boost.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Hrrmmm.. well you probably know a lot more about them than I do so more than likely you're right.. I just say that because everybody I run into seems to think I made a mistake going with ProCharger.. I liked them originally because they were a self contained unit that produced good power across a decent percentage of the powerband.. As for upgrading the P-1, the factory re-built the head unit as it was still under warranty from ProCharger.. I honestly couldn't tell you if the Magnusons are still Rotts type, I just know what I've seen/heard about them.

Still, I looked up some factory specs on the P1, and ProCharger's site says they're rated for 30-psi.. If that's the case why do so many people say they have problems with impeller failures at 12-14 psi +?Rhetorical question I suppose, just a little confusing..

First time I've ever really had the money to truly mod a car so I'm kind of learning as I go..
Gonna run a P1SC myself by spring. I'll let you know how good or bad it is. And its used so we'll see what happens.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

JLW's right there.. you'd spend a lot more trying build 350-400 RWHP out of an N/A block than you would F/I.. Though I'd be careful about running anymore than about 8 psi without an intercooler, maybe 10 with.. And that because the stock 4.6 2v's have both cast crank and rods/hypereutectics.. Going F/I, you're safe up to about 350-375 RWHP.. Much more than that and it's BOOM!!
375 WHP is definalty not the limit. I would not go past 375 on a completely stock car, but with boltons/cams I have been making 10 PSI of non intercooled boost for almost 2 years, with zero problems, and 420 WHP. Its all in the tune.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

JLW's right there.. you'd spend a lot more trying build 350-400 RWHP out of an N/A block than you would F/I.. Though I'd be careful about running anymore than about 8 psi without an intercooler, maybe 10 with.. And that because the stock 4.6 2v's have both cast crank and rods/hypereutectics.. Going F/I, you're safe up to about 350-375 RWHP.. Much more than that and it's BOOM!!
375 WHP is definalty not the limit. I would not go past 375 on a completely stock car, but with boltons/cams I have been making 10 PSI of non intercooled boost for almost 2 years, with zero problems, and 420 WHP. Its all in the tune.
^ Please listen to this guy, he knows his sh*t.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

As a question broham, I've got the P1S/C-2 ProCharger, withfull headers/exhaust, and a Diablosport predator,but I still have the stock rods/hypereutectics.. The guys at DynoTuned Performance in VA Beach have it pulling out at a hair over 448 to the rear wheel right now. My question is, is it going to break the rods with my dad just driving the car around the block once a week or so to keep everything from sitting too long while I'm deployed? Or do I need to have him take it to a shop to get it de-tuned until I can order the rest of the forged internals? (The mach already has the forged crank from the 03/04 Cobra I believe?)..

Kinda learning as I go here so try to go at least a LITTLE easy.. for some reason I seem eat more shoes than not.. lol

Quick Reply: 4.6 buildup 350, 400 rwhp