4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
bigmoose15
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just did the rear brakes and now one is locked. Why?

you shouldn't need new calipers. Just new guide pins. I had to torch the **** out of my guide pins and use PB blaster to get them out, the new ones went in fine. if you don't have the patience you'll need to order a whole new bracket, which i think was around $30-40 when i looked it up. either way its not your calipers. if you do get the guide pins out make sure you lube the new pins with some heavy grease.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:10 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigmoose15

you shouldn't need new calipers. Just new guide pins. I had to torch the **** out of my guide pins and use PB blaster to get them out, the new ones went in fine. if you don't have the patience you'll need to order a whole new bracket, which i think was around $30-40 when i looked it up. either way its not your calipers. if you do get the guide pins out make sure you lube the new pins with some heavy grease.
Well that sounds like a winner. BUT, I do believe I went and ruined my chances of getting those out when I took off and hammered them back in[:@] Oh well, I always tell everyone it's time to upgrade once you break something. I guess I need to take some of my own advise

American Muscle has the two rear calipers in red for around $240 or so. Anyone know of a place that has them for less?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
bigmoose15
2nd Gear Member

the caliper and the bracket are two different parts. i would bet that all you need is a bracket if you can't get the pins out. I had this exact problem on my 97GT. except mine we stuck further out which caused the caliper to not compress the pads to the rotor. take the bracket off, put it in a bench vice and heat the crap out of it. then spray with pb blaster and try to get the pin out with some vice grips. of just buy a bracket. either way i doubt you need calipers.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah, but the calipers looked pretty bad too. I would flip if I had to replace them later on down the line. I think I'll just get the set to match my fronts. I can't really go wrong with brand new parts; it looks good and will last another 10 years or more But now the more I drive this car, the luder this whomping sound gets. I want to go hang out with some of my buddies tonight and I simply wont do it because my car has pissed me off that bad. Does anyone know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM
bullitt15
2nd Gear Member

wow having to hammer them back in , thats a big no-no!
can you descibe the whomping noise? is it a click, clunk, or a tick?
does it come from the front or back? does it only happen on turns? what speeds in the noise present?
in early stages the wheel bearing will only make noise on turns. a bad wheel bearing will make a rubbing and/or clicking noise.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

The whomping is probably overheated rotors and calipers. The rotors might be warped. My RF caliper seized on my Toyota pickup once and it overheated the brakes just like yours and made the same sound. Just need to replace all the damaged parts.

A bad wheel bearing will sound like its groaning and moaning, and changes with vehicle speed and possibly which way you turn.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah, it's the wheel bearing. It used to do it only on left turns, but now it does it all the time. It annoys me more than I can possibly describe! I don't even want to drive my car now. I will have a shop fix it and get those red brakes as well. That should fix the problems back there.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
BolognaPony
2nd Gear Member

definitely the bracket.

This happened to my 01 GT with 46,000 miles on it.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Yeah, it's the wheel bearing. It used to do it only on left turns, but now it does it all the time. It annoys me more than I can possibly describe! I don't even want to drive my car now. I will have a shop fix it and get those red brakes as well. That should fix the problems back there.
And pack those guide pins with grease!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Man I am glad I paid that car off! This wold really difficult to pay for if I had a car payment. Oh well, live and learn. What does a shop charge for a bearing install?