4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:02 PM
ID_3RDegree
1st Gear Member

Default RE: VERY interesting conversation with a dealer. NEED help PLEASE.

DONT DO IT!!!! 14000 is TOO MUCH FOR A CAR THAT WILL ONLY BRING PROBLEMS
Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

sold at auction doesn't necessarily mean it's been wrecked. it could also mean it's been repossesed.
It could also mean that it was a lease return, or that it sat on a dealers lot too long and he wanted to get rid of it...Or someone traded it in at some hillbilly dealership where they usually only sell pick up and the dealer knew he'd never sell it, so it sent it to the auction. 90% of used cars see an auction at one point in their lives. I wouldn't worry about that.

Look all over the car, make sure the paint matches. Check for the sticker on the drivers side door. Look under the hood. See if the fender bolts have been turned. Open the trunk, pull the trunk liner up, look for signs of repair. Check along the inside of the trunk where the tail lights are to see if a new 1/4 has been welded in. Notice if there is orange peel anywhere on the paint. If there isn't it's a good sign that the car has been painted. Many body shops make the mistake of doing too good of job. The factory paint always has orange peel on it. The car isn't sanded by hand at the factory. There are a number of things to look for. If you put it up on the rack, look along the frame rails. PASS on the car if there are clamp marks on the frame. This is usually a sign of the car being on a frame machine. You don't want a Mustang with frame damage. Even if it's been straightened.

Most importantly...Drive it. Turn the radio off, roll the windows up, and tell everyone in the car to be quiet. Just listen for anything that sounds out of the ordinary. Just keep in mind, the car is 6 years old. So it's not going to be perfect. I'd be a little sketchy on it having 5 owners and such low miles. What do they know that you don't?

Edit: Reading that carfax, I wouldn't be scared of that car. Looks like it went from dealer to dealer a couple of times. And it happened during the winter months. That happens a lot with cars like Mustang during the winter.

Very good points.

Also look CLOSELY at the door hinges. They almost never weld in new ones when the car is wrecked (Mustangs anyway). They just straighten them out. Look to see if there are any welds where the rocker panel meets the floorpan (other than the factory spot welds)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 PM
karak567

Well, I told the dealer I would pass. I called up my local Ford dealership and they looked up the warranty history on the car and found the transmission had been repaired FOUR times in the warranty period and then twice after. So I'm passing.

I found a 99 SVT Cobra with 36,000 miles, woman driven, totally stock, perfect condition who is looking at around 15,000 dollars for it. I'm hoping to talk her down to 13,500-14,000 but she doesn't really seem like she's going to budge, we'll see.

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it :-).
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
ID_3RDegree
1st Gear Member

check it out this web page cantain vital info about ORIGINAL 99 cobra owners and there coplaints

http://www.atomicfrog.com/mirrors/ww...a_problems.htm

look for something better 00-04
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: karak567

Well, I told the dealer I would pass. I called up my local Ford dealership and they looked up the warranty history on the car and found the transmission had been repaired FOUR times in the warranty period and then twice after. So I'm passing.

I found a 99 SVT Cobra with 36,000 miles, woman driven, totally stock, perfect condition who is looking at around 15,000 dollars for it. I'm hoping to talk her down to 13,500-14,000 but she doesn't really seem like she's going to budge, we'll see.

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate it :-).
Are you going to leave the car completely stock or mod it? The only reason to own the cobra is that it is slightly faster stock, and less people own them. You could easliy pick up a 01+ GT for 10-12K with fairly low miles on it, and the upgrade parts are generally cheaper.

If you could get ahold of a 10k GT with low miles, you could pretty much put full boltons and gears on it, and still have money left over for most of a cam install. And be raping 99-01 cobras all the time with it.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
97 CobraCoupe
1st Gear Member

Hey. My advice is for a Cobra but not a 99. I have heard lots of bad things about that year imparticular. I have a 97 and i love her. I would buy the Gt in this case even know i am for Cobras, or wait for something else to come up IMO.Here is a website explaining some of the reason the 99 Cobras are disliked. Hope you find one. Get a Cobra!!!

http://www.atomicfrog.com/mirrors/ww...a_problems.htm
Old 04-10-2005, 11:39 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

Most states now have a law where if a body shop (or any repair facility) does more than $3500 ? of repairs, they put into a database that is DMV managed and that would kick out on a carfax report.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:04 PM
4.6MikeMustang
2nd Gear Member

a crash would not show up if the owner fixed it himself out of his own pocket, hell for all you know the owner was a mechanic and did everything himself.

-Mike