4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 GT Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2001 GT Running Rough

check your coil packs to see if one of the connectors is disconnected, loose, or maybe bad. i had the same problem with my 99gt when i changed the coil packs. my buddy forgot to plug one in, and it ran like dog snot, especially under acceleration. check engine light came on 2-3 miles down the road. i'd check it out before you pay the dealer to fix it when it might be so simple. hope i helped. let us know!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
93rx7r1

ORIGINAL: jsmarsh25

check your coil packs to see if one of the connectors is disconnected, loose, or maybe bad. i had the same problem with my 99gt when i changed the coil packs. my buddy forgot to plug one in, and it ran like dog snot, especially under acceleration. check engine light came on 2-3 miles down the road. i'd check it out before you pay the dealer to fix it when it might be so simple. hope i helped. let us know!
Thanks for the suggestions on things to check. I'll keep them in mind for the future. Seeing I only put 15 miles on this car before problems started to happen, I plan to let the dealer fix it at their cost or they can have the car back. From my understanding in NC you have 3 days before a contract becomes final. I plan to use that to my advantage. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93rx7r1

Thanks for the suggestions on things to check. I'll keep them in mind for the future. Seeing I only put 15 miles on this car before problems started to happen, I plan to let the dealer fix it at their cost or they can have the car back. From my understanding in NC you have 3 days before a contract becomes final. I plan to use that to my advantage. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Thanks
Good thinking. If you want to suggest a fix, ask them to reflash the PCM calibration with the latest for your vehicle. Worked for me.

And using 93 octane cannot make a car run WORSE thats for sure.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 AM
reggedon

more than likely when the dealer cleaned the car before they sell them, they steam the engine bay so its all clean. Its very likely they got water into the spark plug holes, and therefor fouled out one of them. Have them clean out the holes, replace the plugs to be safe, and check if the COP's are rusted or not from the water. I had the same exact issue when I bought my 00' gt hope this helps bro.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reggedon

more than likely when the dealer cleaned the car before they sell them, they steam the engine bay so its all clean. Its very likely they got water into the spark plug holes, and therefor fouled out one of them. Have them clean out the holes, replace the plugs to be safe, and check if the COP's are rusted or not from the water. I had the same exact issue when I bought my 00' gt hope this helps bro.
+1 on the possible water logging... usually I just take the car for a nice long drive and dry it out!

Are you sure it was 93 octane and not diesel??? lol it IS possible!

Now lets make it perfectly clear... i do not think one tank of 93 octane will make the car run like shlt.... HOWEVER... they are tuned for regular... and it says it in the manual! In fact... it says... and i QUOTE...
"If you are experiencing starting, rough idle or hesitation driveability problems try a different brand of "regular" unleaded gasoline. "Premium" unleaded gasoline is not recomended because it may cause these problems to become more pronounced."
regardless of what the problem is the stealership should fix it free of charge! Let us know what they say!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
93rx7r1

I dropped the car off today at the dealer and it was running more rough than it had so far. They are going to fix it free of charge seeing I've put less that 50 miles on it, so that's cool. It's good to know that the owner's manual states to use regular and not premium. Too bad this car didn't have a manual for me to read[:@]. I'll give you guys an update on what the outcome is.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

might have water in the gas...buy the $1 stp gas treatment that should help you out..Ive noticed certain stations I stop at has ****ty gas
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
93rx7r1

Ok guys, I got the car back this evening. Turns out that one of the coil packs were bad like jsmarsh25 suggested. Just to be on the safe side I still plan to put some gas treatment in the tank. After I run out the 93 octane I'll go back to the safe cheap stuff I know the car is tuned for. Thanks for all the help!!! I'll be back on later with other questions about mods, upgrades, and tuning when I start.

Thanks again!
J