4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

body work (polyurethane)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default body work (polyurethane)

What's the best method of doing repairs on polyurethane? I bought a roush fascia from a guy and it is DESTROYED. I lost out on this and will never recoup the money if i try to resell it, so i am stuck tying to do most of the repairs and prepwork myself. Can i fiberglass it, or bondo it? Also, if there is somethling like a tab missing, what is the best way for me to replace that? Thanks for any help you guys can give me. It's going to be a long road for this thing.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: body work (polyurethane)

can you post up some pictures?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

I would say use some mesh on the backside of the big problems and fill the front side with some short hair fiber, sand and smooth the rest out with some bondo. If there's smaller problems with just indents, you can use long or short hair with no backing depending on the situation. You'll def. have to seal those problem areas or the primer will raise the patched areas. Atleast you got urethane and not fiberglass. You do have somewhat of a solid ground to work off of.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Fobra
Banned

dont mix fiber and urathane... geez, depends on how bad it is, you can get liquid urathane filler at a pro paint shop, post pics Ill try to help
Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Alright here we go.

This is one side where there are supposed to be three tabs that the support bracket goes on.

Here is the other side, almost as bad

Here is the bottom. That huge long crack you see that comes all the way across the picture and then goes up on the left is supposed to be connected. I could leave it that way and still be fine but that isn't my style.

There are obvious signs that this thing has been repaired more than once, especially where the tabs were/should be.

Any help and guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

lol that looks just like mine. I would like to hear from someone with experience on this as well. I had written it off until i saw this thread.

I was told that even if I repaired it would most likely crack in the the same spot at even the slightest bump.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

I'm sure there are tons of ways to make this work. Question is...which is the best. I was thinking of making an additional bracket for each of the tab areas so that the actual support brackets have something to mount.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Fobra
Banned

ok that can be fixed, you need liquid urathane adhesive - comes in a long tube, your also going to need the gun (its not cheap but you need the big tube of the real stuff, cheap crap will just waste your time and money, the bracket part can be fix with same adhesive, the parts that are glued need to be clamped (esp the bracket) you can probly hold the botoom part - its dries in 5-10 mins, and is MEGA string, WILL NOT come off, but its sandable and paintable just like regular urathen then, the sand it all down and smooth, shoot some adhension promoter on it and then paint it, no primer is needed or wanted
Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Fobra (thanks for your help!)-
So for the tabs that are broken off which are you telling me to do-
1. glue the actual support bracket to the remaining tabs
2. glue another piece resembling the tabs on and then go about assembling the fascia as normal
3. form new tabs and glue them on.

Can i use this stuff you are telling me about to fix any scratches and holes and what not that i come across?

Is this the product you are speaking about?
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...p;Tab=Products
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/pro...mp;Tab=Vendors

Can i pick any of this stuff up locally? The liquid Urethane adhesive and adhesion promoter. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Fobra
Banned

thats the same basic stuff, but thats not it - you have to go to your local paint/body professional supplier to get it, its black goop, in a LARGE tube and u have to use a special double sqeezer gun, you would use 10 bottles off that other stuff, and its not as strong. you can reglue the tabs on or glue the bracket to the urathane, either one, or you could screw the bracket on, making a slightly larger but shallow hole before you drill, so the head of the bolt (id use a bolt) will sit beneth the surface of the urathane, you could then fill it and shave it, but I think gluing it would be the best way to go, bare in mind that doing this is alot of work and ALOT of sanding, and re-sanding and re-sanding and re-sanding and re-sanding, you'll want to get a power sander (preferably orbital) and start with around 600, (the less stuff u use, and the cleaner you apply it the less sanding youll have to do)

Quick Reply: body work (polyurethane)