4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Borla vs. other exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: Borla vs. other exhaust

ORIGINAL: Aereon

Flowmasters sound nice but you'll be tired of em after a few miles on the freeway.

They're not that loud. There is a 200 RPM gap where they drone, but when cruising you're not there. I love my Flows. They're all I would use.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Whatever you do, don't buy the 700+ dollar system for a 96-98 GT.

It's their regular *and for some reason more exspensive* chambered muffler catback.

It's a TON of money for something that does not sound close to the Stingers at all.

tylerl90
I hate Borla's sound...
Nice to have helpful information. This thread was saved by this post......what a clown
Old 03-07-2008, 02:38 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410
They're not that loud. There is a 200 RPM gap where they drone, but when cruising you're not there. I love my Flows. They're all I would use.
+1 I just ordered them for my car. I love the way flows sound a stang. And so does everyone else. Thats why they got them.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89MustangGT50

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410
+1 I just ordered them for my car. I love the way flows sound a stang. And so does everyone else. Thats why they got them.
Meeh.. flowmasters sound alright.. if you want something that sounds like a queef with a slightly deeper tone to it.. LOL And how cheesy does that make all those people that got flowmaster IF they got them just because everybody else has them? lol If you buy 'em, buy 'em because you LIKE them.. I for one friggin HATE the way flowmaster sounds on my mach.. I went with a high-flow cat'd H and the SLP LM II's and I love it.. You may not, the next guy may not.. But don't be a friggin lemming and get something just because somebody else has it.. LOL
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Mustang 03 GT
1st Gear Member

Man how can you guys talk bad about Flows. With my o/r h-pipe and flows I get majior props! No I'm not bragging (Too Old for that) just telling you what people tell me. Total price: $420.00. Guys around here are spending like $800 or $900 bucks for exahust alone. I beleive it's all about the sound that you like. I got the ol school (once again showing my age) deep tone 5.0 sound, and I love it!!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang 03 GT

Man how can you guys talk bad about Flows. With my o/r h-pipe and flows I get majior props! No I'm not bragging (Too Old for that) just telling you what people tell me. Total price: $420.00. Guys around here are spending like $800 or $900 bucks for exahust alone. I beleive it's all about the sound that you like. I got the ol school (once again showing my age) deep tone 5.0 sound, and I love it!!
That's true, but there's a difference between what you did and what he's talking about, because you bought them of your own accord because you like them.. Not because some other schmuck had them and you wanted to be cool like he was.. lol If you're going to mod your car get what you like and what's going to make you both comfortable with the car's setup and longevity, and tell everybody else to **** off if they don't like it.. lol

I personally couldn't stand flowmaster's AT kit when I had it on the mach because it made the car sound like it had a ma deuce in the muffler (if you don't know what a ma deuce is, ask anybody that's ever been in the infantry and they can tell you ALLL about it.. lol ).. I hated that sound.. I may have paid 1540$ for my pipes but that's including everything from the Long tubes to the high-flow cat'd H mids and the LM II kit that I have.. I probably paid a bit more for it, but I couldn't be more pleased with the way car sounds now vs the way it sounded with the flowmaster kit on it.. Again, that's just me though.. You obviously love how it sounds on your car, and that's cool...

And that was my whole point.. THINK FOR YOURSELF PEOPLE... LOL Opinions are just that opinions, form your own.. sshheeesshhhh..
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

These systems sound different on a Mach than on a GT.
Same for the Cobra.

Personally I don't like the Flowmaster sound.
Way too much drone on the highway and under load especially in a Vert with an automatic.

I say take a look at Magnaflow or Bassani.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang 03 GT

Depending upon where you live (I'm in NY) the SS systems like Magnaflow and Bassani will far outlast the Flows.
FWIW I'm old school too, 47yo soon to be 48.

Love my Maggies!
Love the Bassani as well.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 PM
TayGt
1st Gear Member

WEll what about bassani i never hear anyone mention that cat back doesnt that sound good?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:52 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TayGt

WEll what about bassani i never hear anyone mention that cat back doesnt that sound good?
Great system.
Very deep sound with stock h-pipe, excellent fit and finish and it comes with the baffles to tame the sound a little.
I use the same baffles in a Magnaflow system and they do work a little bit for long trips.

Only problem is price, which is very high.

Magnaflow is pretty much a Bassani clone, right down to the tips which like I said will accept the Bassani baffles.
The difference is Bassani is louder and deeper, but not by that much.

Quick Reply: Borla vs. other exhaust