4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
JonBeast

Default RE: Exhust question

ORIGINAL: nanaki

if you want your car to be super loud and deep, go with one of SLPs loudmouth catbacks. if you want it to not be super loud but really deep, get SLP powerflo or magnaflow catback.

get an H pipe if you want your car to have a deeper grumble to it at lower RPMs and at idle. get an X pipe if you want it to not be as loud and deep at idle at lower RPM, but want it to SCREAM when you floor that b!tch.
I said that same exact thing before in a post....but personally i've never heard an o/r h-pipe at WOT in person. I've heard x-pipes before though.
X-pipes are quieter at idle and low rpm, and scream at high rpm
H-pipes are louder and deeper at idle and low rpm, and not as loud at high rpm
It's all preference, me personally, im going with an o/r h-pipe.

I've also heard, go with an x-pipe if you have flow through mufflers (magnapacks, etc.), and go with an h-pipe if you have chamber'd mufflers (flowmasters, etc.)
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

well i've had LM1s & LM2s on an X pipe and the LM1s on a stock H and MAC catted H. so yeah, if you want the deepest grumble, i'd say get LM2s with a catted H. that would make that bad boy GROWL. if you want it to not make you deaf in the car, then don't get an off road H. the LM2s are like the perfect tone. they're LOUD and REALLY DEEP. the LM1s are REALLY LOUD and DEEP. so that's my suggestion if you want the best sounding stang at idle and lower RPM. LM2 with catted H. my suggestion if you want it to sound really dayum good when you romp on the gas and still have a nice idle pur to it, get a catted X pipe. it's all in what you want.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

I think my H pipe sounds pretty good at WOT. I mean it's not as loud as an X pipe but it's loud. Trust me, people know when I get on it.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i don't doubt it isn't loud at WOT. the X just sounds better. i'm basing this on acer's car running the mac catted H with LM1s and my car when it had the LM1s with the catted X. the H is loud and sounds pretty good, yes, but it just doesn't sound AS good as the X. the H definately has the X beat at idle. mmmmm....
Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I can't believe that this post has gone on so long and nobody has mentioned magnaflow.

Super build quality, awsome unique sound, not annoying as **** when your just cruising around. Loud as hell when you get on it.

Whats not to like?

Super "loud all the time" exaust is really really cool for about 10 minutes, and then the headache sets in.

Get a off road X and some magnaflows, you won't be disapointed.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:43 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

magnaflow isn't a unique sound. you'd swear mustangs came stock with magnaflow catbacks now-a-days. every mustang around here has magnaflow or magnapacks. they all sound the same. i like my stang to stand out being deeper and louder. SLP all the way!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

if i purchased the Mustang SLP Power-Flo Catback system for my 03 GT, wut else would i need to buy to support that, or is it good just by itself? what kind of gains could i expect.....notice i have the predator for my car as well

ps. how easy is it to install?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
IceHawk2000GT
1st Gear Member

Any catback designed to fit your car will work all by tself, but as always when you get things such as the midpipe and headers to go with t will perform better overall. the install is pretty easy if you have a jack and a decent set of tools it can be done rather quick but i recommend having a friend around if you do the midpipe it helps out so much just having someone to help hold the pipes in place while you bolt them up. doing the catback yourself is just ripping out the old lining up the new and bolting it in... the midpipe can be a little bit of a pain reaching up to unolt it from the headers but all in all can be done in under an hour easy

just on a side note in case your not aware (my allready know this) remember that O/R midpipes are not emissions legal since they have no cats so you may want to keep the old catted stocker around to put in for inspections... with MILs toturn off your O2 your computer will come up fine, but if they look thell nail ya with it
Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

the gains will be very minimal. nothing you'll really notice. get the midpipe next, that'll give you a handful that'll make a noticable difference.

Quick Reply: Exhust question